Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
2/28/2014 2:56:24 AM

The dating of these paintings has been controversial. Most critics date them during the second trip to Italy, but technical studies by the Prado Museum confirm the 1630 date proposed by López-Rey. (Wikipedia)

Diego Velazquez - El pabellón de Cleopatra-Ariadna
(oil on canvas, c.1630)

Diego Velazquez - View of the Garden of the Villa Medici
(oil on canvas, c.1630)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2014 3:00:21 AM

This outstanding but rather unknown portrait of a jester, treasured in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, Spain, was painted between 1632 - 1633 by Velazquez. One important fact about it is it can be said to inaugurate Velazquez's famous series of portraits of buffoons and like characters to be seen at the Spanish court.

Diego Velazquez - Portrait of the Jester named don Juan de Austria
(oil on canvas, 1632 - 1633)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2014 12:17:34 AM

Here are three most wonderful, famous equestrian portraits painted by Velazquez in between 1634 and 1636. All three are treasured at the Museo del Prado in Madrid.

Diego Velazquez - Equestrian Portrait of the Count-Duke of Olivares
(oil on canvas, 1634)

Diego Velazquez - Equestrian Portrait of Prince Baltasar Carlos
(oil on canvas, 1634 - 1635)

Diego Veñazquez - Equestrian Portrait of King Felipe IV
(oil on canvas, 1635 - 1636)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2014 9:38:11 AM
These are wonderful paintings.
We are so spoiled now in that we have photographs and hundreds of years of drawings to reflect upon and use.
Artists like this were so brilliant in capturing the movement and liveliness of these creatures and despite the main aim of capturing their distinguished riders pictorially, the artists managed to retain a realistic scene within a setting of the region in which they painted.
Even on the smallest of animal portraits I have a massive store of images to inspire and compose my work.
Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/3/2014 2:38:01 AM

Thank you for the fascinating feedback, Roger; you have hit right on the center of the nail's head with it, as usual. I am afraid, however, that you may not find this other painting by Velazquez as much of your liking as the equestrian ones - it being the portrait of a hunter and on top of that, a cardinal. Yet in my view, all three, the cardinal, the dog and the landscape make a wonderful composition.

Diego Velazquez - Cardinal Infante don Fernando as a Hunter
(oil on canvas, 1632-33)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!