Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
2/25/2014 3:55:05 AM

Painted in 1632 or thereabouts, Velazquez's Christ on the Cross is such a moving work; as a devotional painting, 'it invites silence and meditation' (*). No one knows for certain what induced the artist to portrait the Savior with one side of his face covered by his falling hair, though some schollars have suggested Velazquez was inspired in the Christ of Clemency, a famous sculptured crucifix, completed around 1603 by Juan Martinez Montanes and polychromed by Pacheco (only artists were licensed to polychrome these wood figures). In my opinion, however, whatever its other great merits, Velazquez's crucified Christ is unique precisely for this particular detail.

Diego Velazquez - Christ on the Cross (oil on canvas, 1632)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/25/2014 9:35:28 AM
Where to start describing this painting.
Quite superb.
There are so many brilliant techniques and artistic suggestions of drama and sorrow.
Very powerful and timeless.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/26/2014 2:32:01 AM

It certainly is powerful and timeless, Roger. I was so impressed the first time I viewed it; it was many years ago but I still remember it.

In effect, a most special feature of this masterpiece that I have not referred to in my post is the cross itself, which not only can be said to literally support the Savior and the whole painting but - in a way - the entire universe and, for that matter, the cosmic manifestation at large. It is as massive as is - in a way as well -
magnificently beautiful, both by reason of its color and its finishing details. I succeeded in finding a very large photographic reproduction (the very one pertaining to the Museo del Prado) so that if you click on the picture to enlarge it, you will probably see why I dare say no other cross can compare with it that has ever been painted by any other artist.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/27/2014 12:55:11 AM

Back from his expedition to Italy, Velazquez mostly took to his main activity, portraying the royalty. Here are two extraordinary portraits made around that time, where the huge prestige that he enjoyed among his contemporaries appears plainly justified.

Diego Velazquez - Felipe IV in Brown and Silver
(oil on canvas, c.1631 - 1632)

Diego Velazquez - Queen Isabel, Standing
(oil on canvas, 1631 - 1632)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/27/2014 1:26:19 AM

These two exceptional portraits produced between 1629 - 1633
approximately are not of royalties, but all the same are exquisite - especially the one of the lady, an in-depth study in nobility and character.

Diego Velazquez - Portrait of a Young Man (Unfinished)
(oil on canvas, c.1629)

Diego Velazquez - Portrait of a Lady
(oil on canvas, 1633)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!