Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Cinnamon helps prevent fungus and damping off
12/30/2013 4:31:55 PM
Did you know that you can use cinnamon in your garden?

Every spring when seedlings come up, they can be killed by damping off. This is caused by a fungus that attacks the new seedling root systems.

This can be prevented by taking some cinnamon, how much is really dependant upon how many seedlings you have, mix it in warm water and let it steep overnight. Then spray it gently on your seedlings and the soil around them.

Note: I forgot to mention that you can strain the mixture thru cheeseclothe to get rid of the cinnamon that didn't mix well. This will make the mixture a bit weaker if your worried about the strength of the mix, and you can also dilute it with warm water also if you think it is too strong.

This also helps prevent those pesky mushrooms that you can't eat from coming up in inconvenient places in your garden.

Cinnamon is also an ant deterrent. Sprinkle it around your house on a regular basis and the ants won't walk across the cinnamon to come into the house. This has to be done regularly because rain will wash some of it away.

Note that if the ants are already in the house, the cinnamon will keep them in the house, instead of out!
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Cinnamon helps prevent fungus and damping off
12/30/2013 5:18:00 PM

David,

That's great info.

As a professional you start to think that you've heard it all before, but, this is new on me. I shall certainly give this a try.

I love it when I get info like this.

Damping off can be a real pain in the side.

I wonder if it would work on dreaded honey fungus. That would be brilliant as the tar/soap products don't always work.

Mmmmmmm?

+2
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/30/2013 5:20:38 PM
Roger,

It should work on honey fungus also. You may have to experiment with how much cinnamon to use however. I usually use a teaspoon or so mixed in 3 cups of warm water and that works pretty good on the seedlings.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/30/2013 5:21:13 PM
I have never heard of cinnamon being used this way! I do have a question as I'm not good at gardening ( although I do try)...what is "damping off"?
+2
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/30/2013 5:26:30 PM
Damping off is caused by a variety of fungi that basically cause the seedlings to die off at the stem at ground level. There are several different fungi that can cause this, and it can also be caused by keeping the seedlings too moist, which is something the cinnamon obviously won't help with.
The cinnamon kills the fungus which causes damping off.
+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!