Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Alexei Kondratyevich Savrasov and the Lyrical Landscape Style
11/29/2013 6:28:20 PM

Miguel,

I remember this painting well. It is so very beautiful.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2013 3:07:27 AM

I knew you would, Roger; it is indeed beautiful, very beautiful... which somehow makes me reflect on something I read once regarding Alexei Savrasov's looks, something I actually am not very sure about. You know, I have a theory about him that may not be real, but I believe that more than his daughter's death, it was something that happened in relation with his wife that marked him for the rest of his life. And it is very likely that it had to do with Alexei's physical appearance, which as can be seen from his portraits, was not, in fact, too handsome.

Yet however it is, these are two great portraits of him.

by Vassily Perox, 1878

by Iosiv Volkov, date unspecified

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2013 7:41:43 PM

Good portraits.

No, looks weren't his best claim to fame but their is a touch of sensitivity about his features.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2013 1:37:29 AM

Roger,

Seems I was wrong regarding Savrasov's daughter death in 1871. Actually that year it was only his first daughter, and she was stillborn; and it was in the late 1870s that his second daughter died from scarlet fever. By then he had been suffering eyesight problems, and the death of this second daughter not only precipitated the collapse of his marriage but also caused him to paint his landscapes in an increasingly depressive fashion.

From then on his alcoholism increased and he "was sacked from his teaching post and deprived of his Academy apartment (1882). Occasionally lived with Eudokia Morgunova (1880s), who gave birth to a son (Alexei) and daughter (Nadezhda), but mostly led a rootless existence, living in rented rooms and selling badly painted works for alcohol (1890s). Died alone in a hospital for the poor in Moscow and (was) buried at the Vagankovo Cemetery (1897)." (1)

Not a happy history, really.

Miguel

(1) See here.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/1/2013 2:02:15 AM

This gem of a painting by Alexei Savrasov is one of my best favorites.

Alexei Savrasov - Spring Evening
(oil on canvas, 1880s)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!