Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Alexei Kondratyevich Savrasov and the Lyrical Landscape Style
11/28/2013 3:00:23 AM

Dear friends, hardly ever, if at all, have I featured a Russian artist in this forum. Two such artists, however, powerfully drew my attention several months ago; since then, I have been wanting to bring them both into this fourm. Let me please start with the less known of them, a most accomplished painter and the creator of the lyrical landscape style who, in spite of his extraordinary skills and promisory career, spent his last years of life as a pauper. (*)

Alexei
Savrasov
Russian artist

Alexei Savrasov - A Spring Day
(oil on canvas, 1873)

(*) This because after the death of his daughter, in 1871, there was a crisis in his art. The misfortunes in his personal life and, possibly, dissatisfaction with his artistic career were the reasons of his tragedy - he became an alcoholic. All attempts of his relatives and friends to help him were in vain.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Alexei Kondratyevich Savrasov and the Lyrical Landscape Style
11/28/2013 3:07:34 AM

Alexei
Savrasov
Russian artist

Artist Alexey Kondratyevich Savrasov was born to the family of a Russian merchant in 1830 and started drawing in his youth. He entered the Moscow School of Painting when he was 8 years old. He graduated 12 years later and immediately chose landscape painting as his specialty. He went first to the Ukraine to paint, then was invited to St. Petersburg by the president of the Imperial Painting Academy. Three years later he went back to Moscow to get married and to be a teacher in his old school. In the 1860s, he traveled to England and Switzerland where he was influenced by English arttists. Upon his return, his life took a tragic turn. His daughter died in 1871 and he turned to alcohol for relief. His friends and relatives tried to help, but nothing worked. He spent the last years of his life as a pauper, moving in a daze from shelter to shelter. He died at 67 in 1897, and only one person came to his funeral. Music is Felix Mendelssohn's "Song Without Words, Opus 30, No, 3," performed by classical guitarist Andres Segovia.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/28/2013 4:42:29 AM
Hi Miguel,

He was really great artist. Such a shame, sounds like he died of a broken heart.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/28/2013 8:46:14 AM

Wonderful.

I love the way in which he comfortably moves between cold and warm pallettes.

A superb craftsman.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/29/2013 3:15:38 AM

This work, painted by Savrasov in approximately 1880, is so beautiful it sings to your soul; but for all its beauty, what it sings is not necessarily joyful. By the time he painted it, Savrasov's daughter had been death nine long years. On the other hand, it was summer and he must have felt some consolation with the sun's rays caressing him in the open...

Alexei Savrasov- Summer landscape. Pines
(oil on canvas, c.1880)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!