Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Between Agony and Ecstasy: Giacomo Grosso, Italian Painter
9/2/2013 3:53:38 AM

A beautiful example of captured emotions. The artwork is exquisite, is it not.

Giacomo Grosso - Quadri Svestiti (oil on canvas, date uncertain)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/2/2013 8:32:08 AM

This is a great painting.

I love the detail of the face and the more loose treatment for the clothes. It concetrates attention on the face.

Roger

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/2/2013 3:55:20 PM
Hi Miguel and Roger,

I like this painting too. What I really enjoy is you 2 and your comments. You make it very interesting. Thanks.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2013 2:25:41 AM
It is just as you say, Roger. Giacomo Grosso certainly followed the principles in art and if I am not mistaken, one of them is to direct the viewers' attention to the main object of the image which, in a portrait, can only be the face. This also talks to reason, as unless you are, say, more interested in the clothes, your eyes will most surely go to the face - especially if it is that of a beautiful lady.

In this particular case, on the other hand, while there is also an exquisite treatment of the dress that the model is wearing, its imprecise contours do not in any way make it less beautiful. Though not an expert, I dare say it is most elegant and one a fine lady would probably wear in special occasions. Summing up, as far as the amount of detail is concerned, there seems to be the exact proportion that the canons prescribe between the lady's face and her clothes.

Miguel

Quote:

This is a great painting.

I love the detail of the face and the more loose treatment for the clothes. It concetrates attention on the face.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2013 2:54:10 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Myrna. In addition to the proportion of detail that Roger and I have just dealt with in our last posts, I have tried to determine what sort of emotion the woman's face, and more precisely her eyes, may be expressing. And I may of course be wrong, but have concluded that despite of her being an aloof personality, as corresponds to a lady of a certain category particularly when behaving in public, it very probably reveals solitude and to a certain degree, disenchantment probably born of a lack of real purpose in life.

The fact that she seems to be looking out to the horizon certainly helps one get this impression.

Miguel

Quote:
Hi Miguel and Roger,

I like this painting too. What I really enjoy is you 2 and your comments. You make it very interesting. Thanks.

Myrna

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!