Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Between Agony and Ecstasy: Giacomo Grosso, Italian Painter
9/4/2013 2:38:54 AM

In accordance with the title of this topic, the acutely dissimilar duo shown below could perfectly be called "Between the Agony and the Ecstasy." In this particular case, however, which would be which?

Giacomo Grosso - Rittratto Allaria Aperta
(oil on canvas, 1902)

Giacomo Grosso - Ave Maria Gratia Plena
(oil on canvas, 1928)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/4/2013 8:14:20 PM

These are very sensitive portraits and also very different in feel.

I like these very much.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/5/2013 4:50:41 PM

Hi Roger and friends,

Giacomo Grosso's artistic work basically consisted of portraits, on which he was most celebrated by both artists and non-artists in his time. But s
ince he seems to have been prone to cause scandal with his perhaps too daring portraits of nude women, he may have suffered from gradual alienation and in the end, maybe isolation from society. I don't know what may have happened to other paintings of his that I am sure he produced, though very few of them seem to have survived till now. However it was, there is so little extant information not only about his works but about him as well nowadays.

As to his paintings, very few venues and even less websites exhibit them at present. What you have seen so far is about all there is around save for probably eight or ten other paintings that I hope to show soon in this thread. Meanwhile I am posting here one of his best-known works which, unfortunately, neither physically survived nor has been preserved in any other way than the picture that you can view below. A
bout it, however, a story rich in detail has survived ("The Grosso case") that you may read here.

Giacomo Grosso - Supremo convegno (oil on canvas, 1895)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/5/2013 7:25:59 PM

A great story.

I read it with interest.

We all love an artist that raises an eyebrow or two.

He was certainly pretty brave for his time.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2013 1:44:17 AM

A fine portrait of a lady, in fact, a pretty conventional one. I love the color. But I am not sure it was painted that early: Am I wrong or the style of her haircut is sort of revolutionary for 1900?

Giacomo Grosso - Portrait of a Lady
(oil on canvas, c.1900)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!