Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Between Agony and Ecstasy: Giacomo Grosso, Italian Painter
8/29/2013 2:23:39 AM
The object of reprobation by the Patriarch of Venice, Giuseppe Sarto, the future Pius X, while at the same time defended by famed writers and poets, Italian painter Giacomo Grosso would exhibit throughout Europe and be granted numerous awards.

Between the Agony and the Ecstasy

Giacomo Grosso - Maria E Carmen Marsaglia (oil on canvas, 1893-94)

A pupil of Andrea Gastaldi, Giacomo Grosso (Cambiano, Turin, 1960 – Turin, 1938) made his debut in 1882 at the XXIV Esposizione della Società di incoraggiamento alle belle arti ("XXIV Exhibition of the Society of Encouragement of Fine Arts") of Turin.

The next year, after he finished his studies in the Accademia Albertina and came into contact with the Parisian artistic world, he participated in the Esposizione Generale Italiana of Turin; and almost immediately, he began an intense artistic activity which would take him to Venice in 1895 and other international events: Paris in 1896, Monaco 1899, again Venice in 1912, San Francisco 1915, where he was most celebrated as a fine portraitist.

He would also travel to Buenos Aires, in Argentina, where he participated in the centenary of the International Exhibition of art with a large canvas commemorating the Battle of Maipu, an episode in the war of the Spanish American independence. Since 1906 he had been professor of painting at the Accademia Albertina, in Turin, and in 1929 he was appointed Senator of the Italian Kingdom.

Giacomo Grosso - Le Marie al Calvario (oil on canvas, date unspecified)

All along his career, Giacomo Grosso, like Bouguereau and many other famous artists internationally acclaimed, evidenced a marked predilection for painting the female figure, which on occasion would stir commotion among the intellectuals of his time. At the same time, however, and like other great artists of his time, he would feel a deep urge to paint religious works of the most precious facture. Hence the somewhat cryptic title of this article.

Giacomo Grosso - Nudo Sdraiato (oil on canvas, 1896)

Note: this short article is a reproduction of a post on Giacomo Grosso that I recently created at the new Adland blog.

Thank you,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Between Agony and Ecstasy: Giacomo Grosso, Italian Painter
8/29/2013 7:42:19 AM

Such wonderful images.

The nude study is one of the most sensitive that I have seen.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2013 2:23:22 AM

Thanks for visiting and for your kind comment, Roger.

An opportunity to add more wonderful works by this great artist.

Great!

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2013 2:37:39 AM

A circumspect Giacomo Grosso in his own self-portrait

Giacomo Grosso - Autoritratto (oil on canvas, 1931)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2013 2:55:54 AM

An extraordinary portrait by this great artist, Giacomo Grosso. His outstanding ability and deep perception of reality has resulted in a beautiful portrait noteworthy by its elegant color and the subject's majestic stanze and endearing expression.

Giacomo Grosso - La Signora Olympia Oytanna Barucci (oil on canvas, 1896)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!