Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The wonderful world of the Self Portrait
12/23/2013 9:06:07 PM

I agree Myrna and from the 1600's too.

Roger

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/24/2013 9:25:45 PM

BERNARD VAN ORLEY

c.1488-1541)

Self portrait 1520
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/24/2013 9:38:12 PM

Irish portrait painterWilliam Orpen is shown here, palette in hand, standing in front of two mirrors and thereby producing an infinity of portraits.

As one of Britain's most successful portrait painters he was known for the rapid techniques that he used.

He produced very vibrant canvasses fashionable in the twentieth century.

Here is a later painting, again a self portrait but a different style.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/29/2013 11:21:36 AM

Well folks.

All good things come to an end.

After monitoring the responses to forums and even more so the posts I have decided that this forum and most of my other forums and threads are to end.

I have learned a lot from posting gathered or known information and hopefully have given others enjoyment too.

There are some great people here so I'm not going away completely but I shall drop into the wall and perhaps have one thread somewhere.

The amount of time I spend researching and posting is significant and I have decided that, as so many people never visit anymore that the time to step back is here.

I have tried to engage newbies, to start 'how to use to use Adland', I've tried to get folks posting but to no avail.

I have made it to page one of the posters stats but it makes little difference.

I will continue to visit and to post when I can but my input will be less.

I have stated here that my present goal is to meet that brave young lady Malala from Pakistan. My efforts this year will be to forward the cause of women's right to equal education worldwide so I shall continue my Malala thread here.

Thank you to all who have suported me up until now to now.

I shall be canceling my forum post notifications but watch the recent activity box.

I hope that my reduced presence is not too significant.

Roger Macdivitt

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/29/2013 6:18:56 PM

I am so very sorry to hear all this, Roger, but on the other hand I have to agree that our forums are no longer visited as they used to be. Enough be it to say that my own art forum is at present only visited and posted at by you and Myrna and ocassionally one or two more people, where only a few years ago I used to have ten or so visitors. And of course it is the same with your forums, only in your case the additional visitor and poster is me (not a great addition of course), with the added circumstance that I myself cannot post as often as I would like to for sheer lack of time.

I am afraid the sad truth is not many here, particularly those new at Adland, want to know about art or for that matter, about anything that is not business. I have tried to attract visitors posting at the wall and maybe they come and visit, but unfortunately they don't post at the very forum but alas! only one or two do so at the wall itself.

Well, let me please digest your post(s) and see what can my course of action be in the future, as I myself should be thinking about taking a decision too in this regard. Not that I have not thought about it already, but I personally hate leaving anything incomplete and in my case, I had contemplated to make at least two more threads - one featuring Velazquez, and the other Makovski (whom I respectively left in the waiting list until Goya and Savrasov were over).

Again, I am so sorry, really.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!