Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The wonderful world of the Self Portrait
12/7/2013 9:37:31 PM
Quote:
Quote:

File:WRossineSelfPortrait1907.jpg

W Rossine Self Portrait 1907

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Baranov-Rossine

Roger I can see color, but don't understand why the green on the forehead. Can you explain this one!
Myrna

Great question Myrna.

It reall depends what the artist either saw or wanted to show.

Many paintings of human flesh have a strong use of blue.

Although many people automatically think that the skin of a white person is pink it is rarely so as is the case of a black people's images where huge variations of browns and blacks and blues are apparent when you look closely.

The artist here has used blocks of colour rather than lines to bring about the variations of tone in his image. He probably chose a pallete where he used a mixture of red and blue variations to get the different tonal features to bring about a likeness. Where light reflects off of the face that he sees in the mirror he may have thought that there was a cold colour of reflection and so went as far away from the warm reds as he could.

All of the colours on this painting can be made from just a shade of red or blue and its what makes it so clever.

One thing is for sure. When you look at the picture the green/blue patch that you talk about brings your eyes straight to the eyes on the painting. If that is really true then the green/blue does the job.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/7/2013 9:42:06 PM

Miguel,

I couldn't agree more.

So simple yet so complex.

I really like this painting.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/10/2013 10:17:24 PM

File:Self-portrait at the Easel Painting a Devotional Panel by Sofonisba Anguissola.jpg

Sofonisba Anguissola (c. 1532–1625) of Cremona served as court painter to the Queen of Spain, and painted several self-portraits and many images of her family. c.1556

A beautiful example of the discipline of 16th century artist

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2013 12:51:17 AM

Amazing that in the sixteenth to seventeenth centuries, a woman would develop as an accomplished artist and become a court painter to the Queen of Spain. Nor only that, she was such a fine artist. Of course, after the discovery of America, Spain with the Netherlands would become the most powerful empire in the world, with art flourishing under the so-called Northern Rennaisance. Even so, this is a wonderful discovery for me too.

I love the beauty and perfection of this master work.

Thanks for sharing,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2013 7:42:04 PM

Miguel,

That was a real celebration of skill.

Here is another but very different approach.

I LOVE this painter.

Self-Portrait 1912

Self portrait

Boris Kustodiev (Борис Михаилович Кустодиев) (1878-1927)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!