Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Here's A Little Something Fishy For Friday
8/9/2013 1:24:54 AM

Hello Everyone,

For Dinner this Friday, instead of deep-frying the fish for these fish tacos, try coating the fish with a flavor-packed chile rub and grilling it instead. Make sure the fillets are no more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick so they cook quickly. Sometimes flipping fish on the grill can be tricky since the fish can stick to the grill or fall apart. The solution is to invest in a grill basket that easily holds 4 to 6 fish fillets and secures the fish in the basket for easy flipping. If you don’t have a grilling basket, make sure the grill is hot and well oiled before adding the fish.

I'm not much of a taco eater, but these made a believer out of me. I used tilapia, which was all that was available in the way of fresh (or at least non-frozen) fish, and they turned out fine.

Grilled Fish Tacos

Adobo-Rubbed Fish

• 4 teaspoons chili powder, preferably made with New Mexico or ancho chiles
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 pounds Tilapia, 1/2-3/4 inch thick, skinned and cut into 4 portions

Coleslaw

• 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 3 cups finely shredded red or green cabbage
  • 12 corn tortillas, warmed
  1. To prepare fish: Combine chili powder, lime juice, oil, cumin, onion powder, garlic power, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub adobo rub all over fish. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes for the fish to absorb the flavor.
  2. To prepare coleslaw: Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix until smooth and creamy. Add cabbage and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Preheat grill to medium-high.
  4. Oil the grill rack or use a grilling basket. Grill the fish until it is cooked through and easily flakes with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a platter and separate into large chunks.
  5. Serve the tacos family-style by passing the fish, tortillas, coleslaw and taco garnishes separately.

Per serving : 318 Calories; 9 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 110 mg Cholesterol; 29 g Carbohydrates; 31 g Protein; 5 g Fiber; 714 mg Sodium; 829 mg Potassium

Have A Fantastic Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2013 2:08:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

You know what tomorrow is, so you know why I'm here. Flecked with scallions and bell pepper, these healthy crab cakes are as flavorful as their higher-fat counterparts. We brown them first on the stovetop and then finish them in a hot oven. There's really no need for frying.

Crab Cakes

• 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, (2 cups), picked over and patted dry
  • 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
  • 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 scallion, trimmed and finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup finely diced red or green bell pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • Lemon wedges, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Stir crabmeat, fresh breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, egg white, lemon juice, scallion, bell pepper, parsley, Old Bay seasoning, pepper and hot sauce to taste in a large bowl.
  3. Place dry breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the crab mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. (The mixture will be very soft.) Dredge the patties in the dry breadcrumbs, reshaping as necessary.
  4. Brush oil evenly over the bottom of a heavy ovenproof skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high heat. Add the crab cakes and cook until the undersides are golden, about 1 minute. Carefully turn the crab cakes over and transfer the pan to the oven. (If you do not have an ovenproof skillet, transfer the patties to a baking sheet.) Bake until heated through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges. Serves 6.

Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh crumbs.

Per Serving: 149 calories; 3 g fat ( 0 g sat , 1 g mono ); 13 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 329 mg potassium.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/23/2013 1:55:36 AM

Hello Fellow Landlubbers,

Since the closest many of us will ever get to catching a fish is on our Dinner plates, here's this week's Fishy treat. Batter up your fillets in these crunchy, Japanese-style breadcrumbs called Panko, then bake them up nice & crispy, and the family will swear that these tender Halibut Fillets are deep-fried. A quick pan-fry adds a crispy coating to these flavorful and light halibut fillets. This fish recipe mimics the fried flavor without the added fat.

Garlic and Herb Oven-Fried Halibut

• 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 6 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • Light Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish. Place egg whites and egg in a shallow dish. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Dredge fish in flour. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in panko mixture.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 fish fillets; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining fish. Bake at 450° for 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!