Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: In Admiration at The Frick Museum
5/16/2013 4:19:54 PM
So true, Roger. For one thing, then you had all the time in the world to relish in contemplation of nature. Now I wish we had enough time to relish in contemplating these artworks, but alas! not even that we have left.

Quote:

So wonderful.

Besides the beauty and skill evident these gems are reminders of man's simpler lifestyle and a time when community was a part of everyday life. As now there were the have's and have nots but there was a natural support among communities.

Modern life has brought many of us more comfort but we still can't really better the observation and imagination of these masters.

Wonderful.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/18/2013 9:45:57 PM
Corot probably painted this small oil study on paper while at the site, facing northwest along the main axis of the Roman Forum. The view was one admired and recorded by other artists — for example, J. M. W. Turner. A late afternoon sun illumines and silhouettes the famous monuments, which include the Arch of Constantine, the Arch of Titus, the ruins of the Temple of Venus and Rome, the stubby remains of an ancient fountain called the Meta Sudans, and the distant campanile of the Palazzo Senatorio on the Campidoglio. A crystalline light and the cool, pale hues of green, blue, and buff suggest that the season is late spring or early summer, before Roman heat turns the Forum into a dusty oven.

According to the artist’s friend Alfred Robaut, the sketch was executed on the last of Corot’s three trips to Italy. In 1826, during his first trip, Corot had painted two larger, panoramic views of the Forum as seen from above at a distance. Both of the earlier paintings, now in the Louvre, are more composed and finished than the Frick study. Like so many of his predecessors, such as Valenciennes, Bertin, and Michallon, Corot often referred to his sketches when back in his studio, where he prepared his larger canvases for sale or exhibition. The freshness and immediacy of the open-air oil sketches are qualities increasingly admired today.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/18/2013 10:47:49 PM

Thanks for your contribution, Roger. Actually you have touched a nerve, as I have been Corot's fan for years. With regard to that study it seemed to me at first to be strange that it did not contain any trees, and then I realized it was only that, a study.

This is a painting by him that
has always attracted me:

Camille Corot - Portrait of Berthe Goldschmidt ("Woman with a Pearl")
(oil on canvas, c.1868-70)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/19/2013 12:46:32 AM

Well, at last I found it on the Net! I have been trying to locate this precious Corot masterpiece for years, it always allured me from an art book, and only now have I found it at Wikipedia (here). I know this thread is about the Frick Collection and this particular work is treasured in the National Gallery in Washington D.C. (and Woman with a Pearl in the Louvre Museum), but I cannot resist the temptation to post it here in all splendor.

Camille Corot - Forest of Fountainebleu
(oil on canvas, 1834)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/19/2013 8:43:06 AM
Quote:

Thanks for your contribution, Roger. Actually you have touched a nerve, as I have been Corot's fan for years. With regard to that study it seemed to me at first to be strange that it did not contain any trees, and then I realized it was only that, a study.

This is a painting by him that
has always attracted me:

Camille Corot - Portrait of Berthe Goldschmidt ("Woman with a Pearl")
(oil on canvas, c.1868-70)

Beautiful.

I love Corot's drawing style.

A great artist.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!