Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: In Admiration at The Frick Museum
4/22/2013 3:08:33 AM
There you have it, Roger; I have brought it from the Art Renewal Center's website. You may click on the image to enlarge it greatly, they are pretty generous with their images' sizes.

However, I have found they say the work is the property of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Can it be it was sold to the Frick Collection and they have not updated their database?

Be it as it may, I made a thread feauturing Constable in this very forum but only featured
The Salisbury Cathedral from the Meadows, another magnificent related work by him. I have never been able to decide which one is better. You may find it here (I mean my thread's small image, but if you click on it you will be able to see a huge image of the painting).

At the time I did the thread I would think only one of my selected master's favorite works could be featured; I sincerely don't know why. Only later did I begin to show more works of any given master per thread.

John Constable - Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishops's Grounds
(oil on canvas, 1823)

Quote:

I know that this image will feature soon in Miguels forums. Miguel loves the work of Constable and this is a gem in The Frick Collection.

Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Garden

John Constable 1826.

I am sure Miguel will find a better enlargeable copy.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2013 7:33:33 AM

Wonderful copy, thank you.

Yes, it is definitely listed in the Frick collection catalogue.

A fine painting.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2013 9:29:09 AM

But there are several versions of this wonderful painting, Roger. I was curious about the difference in the year and above all in the clouds, so I have just searched for John Constable's versions of this wonderful painting and have found at least three.

In the first place, the one you posted is of 1826 and its title is 'Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Garden'. In effect, it is treasured in the Frick Museum.

But with the title
'Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Grounds' there are these slightly differing other versions:

1820 - I found this one in the Artchive (here) (no couple strolling on its left-hand side).
T
reasured in the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa

1823 - The version I show as the enlarged version in my thread which I took from the
Art Renewal Center
here (it was completed in 1826 and is treasured
in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, also in New York)

1823 - The one shown in the CGFA Online Museum here (treasured in the
Victoria and Albert Museum, London)

Note: I will repost all this in my thread featuring John Constable (here). I hope you visit there too. :)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2013 9:44:50 AM
Quote:

This is one of my most loved artworks and it is in the Frick collection.

Comtesse d'hausseonville

by Jean-August-Dominique Ingres

A wonderfully beguiling and interesting, very feminine, lady.

I have always been a big fan of Ingres' artwork too, Roger. This one is a wonderful reproduction. And you may remember I once PM-ed you an image of Ingres' most famous Odalisque - you may see it here (from the Artchive.com).

Thanks,

Miguel

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2013 4:35:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:

This is one of my most loved artworks and it is in the Frick collection.

Comtesse d'hausseonville

by Jean-August-Dominique Ingres

A wonderfully beguiling and interesting, very feminine, lady.

I have always been a big fan of Ingres' artwork too, Roger. This one is a wonderful reproduction. And you may remember I once PM-ed you an image of Ingres' most famous Odalisque - you may see it here (from the Artchive.com).

Thanks,

Miguel

I remember well.

There is touching sensitivity in Igres works.

Roger

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!