Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: General tidbits of information
4/11/2013 11:17:01 PM
Quote:
Actually, Dave, the ph of your soil can vary a great deal, depending on what your growing. Most plants want a ph of 6.0 to about 7.5 or so. There are a lot of things you can do to change the ph scale, which is a huge topic in and of itself. I'll make another section and start talking about the soil ph in the next few days.

You are 100% correct! For most vegetables, a pH on the basic side (above 7) is good, but woe, woe if you lime some things in your garden, like strawberries and raspberries. Their leaves will turn yellow if you do that. They prefer acidic soil.

Also, I have discovered my rhubarb LOVES acidic soil. My neighbors have always babied their rhubarb, and finally gave up in disgust when my SEVERELY abused rhubarb did so much better than theirs.

The secret was, I grew my rhubarb under a cedar tree, a complete no-no for most plants. I piled fresh clippings from the lawn around the plants, also a no-no for most plants, that could burn from this practice. Finally, whenever the productivity of a plant drops off, down through the middle of the plant goes the shovel, and half of it gets moved to a new location.

My rhubarb is always about one half to one meter high and very juicy.
+1
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: General tidbits of information
4/11/2013 11:23:36 PM
Cedar and Pine tree needles are high on the acidic side. In some areas you have to be careful though, as rats and other varmints like to burrow in the pine needles if they are piled high, like in a compost pile. The heat from the fresh clippings make the pine and cedar needles decompose more rapidly, thus increasing the acidity of the soil also, which your rhubarb loves. And rhubarb likes hot roots also, so the heat helped promote root growth.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!