Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
General tidbits of information
4/11/2013 7:16:00 PM
Did you know it can take up to 10 years for Magnolia tree leaves to fully decompose. So they are never a good idea to use in your compost pile.

Citrus fruits are very acidic and can kill beneficial nematodes and earthworms in your garden, so you don't want to use them as compost.

Some ants in your garden and yard are good. They eat the bad insects as well as aerate your soil for free. However, bear in mind that some ants are always bad, such as fire ants.

Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: General tidbits of information
4/11/2013 7:33:17 PM

Hi,

Strangely I just mentioned large leaf compost problems in my post in your other thread.

It is incredidle how long holly leaves remain green if you cut off a branch and leave. Also, I don't know what they make teabags from as I find them intact up to three years from composting.

Roger

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/11/2013 9:02:57 PM
Quote:
Did you know it can take up to 10 years for Magnolia tree leaves to fully decompose. So they are never a good idea to use in your compost pile.

Citrus fruits are very acidic and can kill beneficial nematodes and earthworms in your garden, so you don't want to use them as compost.

Some ants in your garden and yard are good. They eat the bad insects as well as aerate your soil for free. However, bear in mind that some ants are always bad, such as fire ants.

Hi Dave,

I agree with the fire ants, I stepped in a hill of them once when I was in Texas. I was moving to the pool after they bite me. Hope I never do that again, ouch!
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/11/2013 10:54:12 PM
Quote:

Thank you for the great information, Dave. I am going to enjoy your forum!

Our soil here is already very acidic, so I have no fear of composting citrus fruits, skins and all. We need to dump on the dolomite, anyway, since we get such heavy rain throughout the late fall, winter and early spring months. Rain, even when it is not called "acid rain," is actually on the acidic side, which is why all our water, even from our wells here on the coast, is on the low side of the pH scale.

I compost everything, including newspaper, which is also acidic, but also add plenty of ash and dolomite in spring, with very good results.

One thing that people CAN and SHOULD do if they have any questions about their soil, is test the pH. It should be above 7 for optimal results.

Let's see how confusing this can get with two Daves... I went to school with four Daves, and we were all friends... lol.

Dave
+1
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/11/2013 10:57:50 PM
Actually, Dave, the ph of your soil can vary a great deal, depending on what your growing. Most plants want a ph of 6.0 to about 7.5 or so. There are a lot of things you can do to change the ph scale, which is a huge topic in and of itself. I'll make another section and start talking about the soil ph in the next few days.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!