Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: Composting and earthworms
6/9/2013 4:49:21 PM
Did you know that earthworms, especially red wigglers, can speed up your composting process? Now, there is a trick to this. You CANNOT put the worms in a standard compost bin. It gets too hot for them there.

You can google "worm bins" and learn how to build your own, or you can buy them fairly inexpensively online also.

This is an excellent way to get rid of kitchen food scraps, except for meat products, and citrus products. You don't want to use them in the worm bin.

The "worm tea" is an excellent fertilizer, and can give your plants a huge boost in nutrients.

We have a worm bin here that we just started, and will be using it extensively to make quick compost, and worm tea for fertilizing the garden.

Another added bonus, once you have a lot of worms in your bin, you can add some of them to the garden, and if you have a lot of folks that go fishin in your area, you could sell the worms for a bit of extra cash. Generally a dozen worms for a dollar to 2 dollars depending on where you live.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Composting
6/9/2013 7:11:10 PM
Quote:
Did you know that earthworms, especially red wigglers, can speed up your composting process? Now, there is a trick to this. You CANNOT put the worms in a standard compost bin. It gets too hot for them there.

You can google "worm bins" and learn how to build your own, or you can buy them fairly inexpensively online also.

This is an excellent way to get rid of kitchen food scraps, except for meat products, and citrus products. You don't want to use them in the worm bin.

The "worm tea" is an excellent fertilizer, and can give your plants a huge boost in nutrients.

We have a worm bin here that we just started, and will be using it extensively to make quick compost, and worm tea for fertilizing the garden.

Another added bonus, once you have a lot of worms in your bin, you can add some of them to the garden, and if you have a lot of folks that go fishin in your area, you could sell the worms for a bit of extra cash. Generally a dozen worms for a dollar to 2 dollars depending on where you live.

Those worms are a miracle.

I have had them in my general composting bin for five years now but I keep my bin regularly watered and have it standing in a shaded spot. I ensure that I add a little soil regularly and find that as long as I do these things I keep the heating down overall except for the new stuff.

Roger

+2
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/11/2013 5:02:42 PM
Roger,

Sounds like you've gotten it figured out. In general though, a lot of folks won't go to the trouble of trying to keep a compost bin cool enough for the worms.

The optimum temperature for a compost bin is 185 degrees Fahrenheit, which is too hot for earthworms on a general basis, unless they can leave the pile to cool off in the soil.

But if you water it and keep it cooler on a regular basis like you are doing, then you can add worms to it, and they will be fine.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/11/2013 9:05:40 PM
Quote:
Roger,

Sounds like you've gotten it figured out. In general though, a lot of folks won't go to the trouble of trying to keep a compost bin cool enough for the worms.

The optimum temperature for a compost bin is 185 degrees Fahrenheit, which is too hot for earthworms on a general basis, unless they can leave the pile to cool off in the soil.

But if you water it and keep it cooler on a regular basis like you are doing, then you can add worms to it, and they will be fine.

I quite understand what you say.

Roger

+1
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/11/2013 9:22:37 PM
That's why you build the chicken coop next to the compost bins. This provides fertile cool place for them to go hide during the day and raid and seek the warmth of the compost bin at night. I remember having to keep a light on to keep them from crawling out of the refrigerator we raised our fishing worms (Big Fat Red Wigglers) in. We learned a lot from the "Chicken Lady" that lived down the road from our fishing hole. I learned to backyard farm from her when I was young. I used to ride my bike to her place and help her with chores.
Good stuff David!

Jim

Quote:
Roger,

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!