Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
RE: Images that I find by chance and enjoy
3/18/2013 6:59:19 AM
Dear Roger, Lydia, Miguel and all!

I like very much all pics that you've shared on this page.
Here are a few paintings with a predominant theme PEACE, painted by Greek painter Matthew Christou :

Dream of Peace, by by Matthew Christou

Mattheos Christou was born in Cyprus, in 1956. It was a year notable for conflicts including Britain and France bombing Egypt, USSR testing its nuclear bomb, the Battle of Algiers, Cyprus fighting the British for independence, and the Soviets invading Hungary. Conflict returned to Cyprus in 1974, although by then Mattheos was in Athens, at the School of Fine Arts. Among his tutors was Dimitris Mytaras, one of the most important Greek painters of the 20th century.

The curving shapes in the paintings of Mattheos Christou are free and spontaneous; there are no aggressive hard angles or sharp lines, and for him their absence represents peace. The forms in his paintings remind one of the serenely simplified sculptures of Brancusi. This sculptural approach, with its economic colour palette of blue, red, ochre and brown acrylics, with painted black borders instead of frames, combine to create his distinctive recognizable style. This is a style that he has retained throughout the years, although recently he introduced the colour green to convey optimism, and the eyes always depicted with a soulful Byzantine gaze, are often closed in contemplation or meditation.

+1
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/18/2013 7:08:52 AM
Hungarian Painters

(I'd come later to finish this post. Sorry, I am interrupted.)
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/18/2013 10:29:02 AM
Dear Lydia, thanks for your kind, documented reply. I am just beginning to learn about this painter's wonderful art, so at the moment am more focused on his exquisite portraits; but I certainly hope to get to know as much of it as possible soon.

Thanks again,

Miguel
Konstantin Makovsky - Turk

Quote:

Konstantin Makovsky. Festivities during Pancake Week at the Admiralty Square in St. Petersburg 1869

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/18/2013 12:33:12 PM

Lydia and Miguel,

I am keen to follow this great Russian artist. The examples are wonderful.

We will continue to mix things up and look at other world artists.

Later I may post some of these wonderful portraits in their own forum.

Branka,

I am pleased with your great contributions. The greek paintings are very interesting, they have a mix of modern and early painting. I look forward to the Hungarian paintings too.

Roger

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/18/2013 12:35:19 PM
Quote:

Konstantin Makovsky. Festivities during Pancake Week at the Admiralty Square in St. Petersburg 1869

Lydia,

These are truly good.

Thank you. You have helped Miguel and myself greatly.

Roger

+1