Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Determine your USP (unique selling point)
1/27/2013 7:01:42 PM
The other evening a group of us were talking about how we were going to set up a group on Facebook and the subject of the USP came up. For those of you who are not aware of USP, it is a process where you find a way to show your customers or fans what makes your business unique and different and why they should come to you over your competitors.

Image from "business on rails" talking about USP|Adlandpro

... and those of you who want to understand where this terms came from I refer you to Wikipedia and its definition:

"The unique selling proposition (a.k.a. unique selling point, or USP) is a marketing concept that was first proposed as a theory to understand a pattern among successful advertising campaigns of the early 1940s. It states that such campaigns made unique propositions to the customer and that this convinced them to switch brands. The term was invented by Rosser Reeves of Ted Bates & Company."
O.K......
Lets get to why you need to think about these things

With all the different products and services that are being shown on the net, you need to think about WHY should anyone look at what your business , why they should go to you and more important the question that needs to be asked is what is in it for your customer?

Lets take the example of Domino's Pizza as an example:

example of USP using Domoino's Pizza|AdlandPro

Domino’s Pizza: "You get fresh, hot pizza delivered to your door in 30-minutes or less…or it’s free."

Domino's created an impression that time mattered for their customers and the benefit to the customer was that they would not have to wait around for their food and that if they did not deliver on time, a person would be compensated.

There may be very little difference between your product and your competitors' — but if you can't find a way to communicate uniqueness and connect it to a need of your target, you might as well quit fighting your competition and sell out to them. — BusinessTown.com

How do you Develop your Unique Selling Point?

Many of you who are in affiliate marketing are usually given prewritten sales ads, letters etc. to help you advertise to people. I want you to stop for a moment and think.... When a business first starts up, the people of these programs go to a lot of time and effort to craft these prewritten ads and while they may be good in the beginning, the fact is after a while, they are all the same..they are NOT unique and they do not have the most important factor included...YOU!

Step back!

To become successful in any business whether you own the business or affiliating with a product or service, you need to find your own USP and to do that you need to ask questions

1. What are the benefits and features that make your product unique? Create a list and do a Google search to compare with your competitors. If you have a broad offering, can you focus on one or two key services that are most in demand? Write them down!

2. Think about the people you are wanting to reach..whats in it for them? Everyone has an emotional need and meeting that need with your product or service requires good wording and imagery.

3. What aspects of your business, product or service is something that your competitors do not have, that cant be duplicated or reproduced? It can be lower costs, it can have a better system, it can be many things. Give this real thought because this is what you are going to "sell" to people

4 Answer your customer’s main question: "What’s in it for me?" Make it to the point and state it as a benefit to the customer.

5. Who are the people that you want to reach? Demographics is important so think about such things as age, interests, location (local, all over the world).

When Was It Modified?

If you established your USP in the late eighties and you have haven’t evolved it since, you’re likely heading for some rough water. Even great companies like General Electric have evolved their USP over the years. Why? Because they are in touch with their customers well enough to know when and where they like to spend their money. Your company, large or small, should take a similar stance. I’m not talking about reinvention every year (although sometimes that’s necessary), but more small course corrections along the way. This will help you keep your USP in line with your strengths and in tune with your customer. Innovation Simple

One last thought:
Creating your own USP is not just for marketing, but can be applied to every aspect of your life both online and offline. These concepts will work for:
- social media profiles
- selling a house or furniture
-creating a resume for that job you are wanting
and I am sure if you give it thought you can come up with more ways to use your own unique USP

Here is another article :

How to Create Your "Unique Selling Proposition" (USP)
That Makes Your Marketing Generate More Results

+0
Ken
Ken Wolff

1889 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Determine your USP (unique selling point)
1/27/2013 8:17:45 PM
thank you

Thank you Diane!

Thanks for bringing the USP to our attention. I have been thinking about you a lot lately and love the way you bring important success strategies to our attention.

The shameless plug is another one you mentioned. There is a time and a place for a shameless plug and you found a good place where everyone can see it. I have one I promised too and hope that like yours everyone can benefit from it.

Here it is: I started The Soaring Eagle Team in Facebook back in April of 2010 with the USP of providing a place for Internet Marketers to share their strategies for success.
Thank you Bogdan Fiedur for stopping by and liking the page and making some great comments. Please take a few minutes to go there and see if The Soaring Eagle Team in Facebook will be of significant benefit for you. It is a place for you to display yourself as an Internet Marketer with tools for success to share.

I would love to have you share your USP strategies there Diane!

Ken

P.S. My Shameless link again: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Soaring-Eagle-Team/224038329710

The Soaring Eagle Team

The Soaring Eagle Team
Ken Wolff
wolff2001@gmail.com
916-704-9238

The Soaring Eagle Team
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2013 9:23:54 PM
Hi Ken, thanks for thinking of me...lol, hope it was in a good way...ha ha

I am finding that people are missing the point to USP and to show what I mean, I was talking to a fellow the other day and of course he was talking about his promotion:

person: Hi
Me: hi how are you?
person: great, hey I have this great thing I have found and I love it
me: cool, what is it?
person: here is the link and watch the movie
( at this point my eyes have gone crossed eyed)
me: before I do that whats this all about?
person: watch the move and it will explain everything
( emotionally I have sighed and shut down)
me: thanks for sharing

Now tell me where the person who really wanted to show what they were doing went wrong?

The USP is not just about ad copy or letters, it can be applied to conversations...lets replay the conversation

person: Hi
Me: hi how are you?
person: I see that you are in social media
Me: ya I love everything to do with social media, are you?
( the person has acknowledged me and what I am into)
person: I have been learning my way around social media and found this great tool to help me with keeping my time organized, it sure can be overwhelming when it comes to time
me: ya no kidding time is something I wish I had more of
( the person has created an emotional response in me)
Person: well this tool is great it manages time, helps with posting has some really great features..it is free but has a paid component that I am using and compared to others that do the same thing, this one is much better. if you are interested they have a bit of a video to explain it ..here is the link if you are interested
( person did not sell, but gave a USP of managing time,free,compared to other tools)
me: cool, give me the link, would love to know more about it
time lapse
me: hey this is cool, I like it, is this your referral link?
person: yes it is
me: great, I'm signing up!
person: cool, but if you are needing help with this, let me know and I will be right there for you

Understanding your product or service is incredibly important...it shows that you know the product, it shows that you have put effort to understanding the product and sure helps when talking to people about the product..Creating a USP works!

+1
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2013 9:26:11 PM
Quote:
thank you

Thank you Diane!

Here it is: I started The Soaring Eagle Team in Facebook back in April of 2010 with the USP of providing a place for Internet Marketers to share their strategies for success.
Thank you Bogdan Fiedur for stopping by and liking the page and making some great comments. Please take a few minutes to go there and see if The Soaring Eagle Team in Facebook will be of significant benefit for you. It is a place for you to display yourself as an Internet Marketer with tools for success to share.

I would love to have you share your USP strategies there Diane!

Ken

P.S. My Shameless link again: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Soaring-Eagle-Team/224038329710

Liked and posted :-)
+1
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/28/2013 12:27:37 AM
Diane,

My life occupation and interests are as close to marketing, as close are shoe maker and surgeon, but you girl has draw me in with just a few articles :). I already knew it, but never too much to le-learn: NEVER SAY NEVER!

Thanks for being such inspiring and greatly positive (almost contagious) source of the novices in my life!

Hugs,

Branka

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!