Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Murder of the English Language
12/6/2012 7:47:04 PM
Never call yourself "old," Norm! It sounds to me like you're just getting started!

Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/6/2012 9:06:48 PM
English, itself, will probably always be called, "English," though if time travel were possible, a visitor from the 1600s would likely wonder with what manner of frowardness we would so unintelligibly venture to express ourselves!

It is interesting, Kathleen, that you mention the French teacher. Therein I am reminded of several teachers I had in public school, and wonder if perhaps the teachers, themselves, have much to answer for in the formation of our vocabulary.

Our librarian, a wonderful man, and also a teacher in our elementary school, was from India, and apart from having a very strong reminder of his former home in the way he pronounced every word, also added, "Isn't it?" to the end of every sentence.

My French teacher was Irish, so I had the benefit in Canada of learning Parisian French with an Irish accent! (I will never understand why they teach us Canadian Anglos Parisian French, rather than Canadian French!)

Perhaps the entire mix from around the world is the greatest influence on the simplification and loss of sharpness and beauty in our present form of English. I simply shudder to think what it will be like, once the SMS language is fully integrated into our language!

Already, I here people SAY "ttyl," instead of "Talk to you later," and "lol," instead of actually laughing. I fear this is going to continue and increase.

As a very good friend of mine likes to say, "Woe is us."

God bless,

Dave
+0
Jo
Jo Matthias

2947 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/6/2012 10:15:39 PM
Hi Dave,

I use terminology like lands sakes, pity sakes, Lord have mercy, my lands, ......I lived with this type of speaking when I was a child. You are right about the murder of the english language.

Have a wonderful and blessed day,
Take care,
Jo
VOTE!!!! POTM!!!
+0
12/7/2012 5:58:06 AM

Hi Dave,

you are quite right, but one aspect of advancing years is the sense of not wanting to waste whatever time there is left. This inevitably breeds irritations with unecessary messing up of communications, which I regret seems to be on the rise in the general media AND in business .

A few years ago when I was Lecturing on marketing, I had a session on 'what has the internet brought to us?' and I posed the question then as to whether we have acquired a new way of communicating or simply a new way of being misunderstood and (pardon the vernacular but it seems apposite) 'pissing people off'?

It is noteworthy of how we have moved into a 'want it now' mode of living, and where once upon a time we wrote letters, and had time to consider content, style and sense. That has vanished almost overnight, and we can send a message instantly, and this brings on a sense of wanting a reply immediately as well. If that doesn't happen a feeling of annoyance creeps in doesn't it?

The old safety-net of a good Secretary has also disappeared, so our (read 'my') grammatical incompetences inevitably compounded both irritation and often misreadings by the recipients. Even now I am stunned by despite multiple checking of book texts obvious errors still appear - always when the thing is finally printed! There must be a Law related to that somewhere.

Honestly, how many of us diligently use the 'Edit' buttons when we rush to print?

Quick ref. back to French - how daunting is it when you realise there are 35 conjugations for each verb? I didn't even know what a conjugation was in English!

Norm Clark
+0
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/7/2012 7:07:51 AM

Hello again,

No matter what problems exist in the English language, one fact remains constant. It is the only10_1_136.gif language that is spoken on every continent and country in the world. As for the idioms lol, rotfl, and the like, they are used in written form to indicate how a person is reacting to a joke or a funny situation that someone else has written about. If you cannot see a person that you are communicating with, you have no idea how he or she has reacted to your written communication unless you receive a response. It is much quicker to say "rotfl" then to elaborate with, "I am rolling on the floor laughing." The written word does not contain accents and words are normally spelled the way they are meant to sound. However, although we may write "I am not going to do that" if we were confronted the other person that we are corresponding to in person we may say,"I ain't a gon do that." That is the strange thing about the English language. We can write it perfectly, however we say it according to our surroundings. Therefore, we may want to speculate as to what, exactly is being murdered. The written English?, or the spoken word. My father was born in Canada. He was French Canadian Canuck and was born in Quebec. In high school, I opted for French as a foreign language. It was Perisian French. Half way through the year, my teacher asked me why I was doing so poorly in class. I told her that the French that I was being taught was not at all like the French that my father spoke.

Getting back to the computer text. Letters to replace sentences were first used by teenagers that wanted to keep their conversations with others secret. There are still letter messages out there in cyberland that many adults have not figured out yet because when we do figure themout, they are changed. Also, those in other countries that do not speak English pick up on textspeak a lot easier than typing out whole sentences. I was born in Massachusetts and have lived in Indiana for twenty-five years. I met someone from Boston last year and we got into a conversation. About five minutes into the conversation I was lost. French class all over again. I could not understand a word he was saying. He had a thick Southy accent and I came from Taunton which is thirty-five miles away. In the states, the language does not change from state to state, but rather from different locations whithin the states. Radio and Television people whose job is to speak to the public used to be trained (because I don't know if they still are) to learn to speak Universal English. This would be pronouncing the vowels correctly and pretty much going back to the basics of the language as it was spoken in the beginning of the Colonization of America. Devoud, of course of using words like 'fortnight' 'ye' 'thou'. The Olde English words were picturesque (I spelled quite well when I was younger). and did lend an air of sophistication, however they also created confusion among people. How the language is spoken is irrelevent because ours is a land of freedom, a land of a myriad of different cultures, a land of self expression as in the way we invent words to convey different thoughts, and a land of might. I added that because our military power comes in all colors, religions, and cultures, however when it comes to defending our country, all races answer the call. What is relevent, is how we write our words. As Peter pointed out "Their" "They're" and "There". It is knowing what each spelling represents and using the right spelling for the word. It can get confusing if you want to "write" about the "Right" way to do things. In conclusion, what is right about our language is that there are no symbols or "`" marks over letters or upside down question marks. The English language is the easiest to understand in it's written form making it acceptable in almost every country. Now, I ain't never said that I haven't run down the Apples and Pears to wash me boat on occasions, however if we go all the way back to the days of the Pilgrims me uncle will have to come out of retirement. He was a Town Cryer in Cape Cod. Actually, there is a Pilgrim village in Plymouth, Massachusetts and to this day, the villages speak the old tongue. I agree that we should never forget the language of the past, however we should not forget to look ahead to the future either.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!