Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Murder of the English Language
12/7/2012 10:20:33 PM

Hi Dave,

I sometimes say "LOL" as I type it, but I try not to say it to other people! :)

Here's a great way to keep real laughter alive, just laugh really loud and be genuine about it while watching TV at home, visualize yourself in the front row of a movie theater, and not care who hears you or who's behind you or near you. Laugh loud when you're alone and you'll do it all the time, you'll become the leader of the laughter when you are at a theater! (Lucille Ball's mother's laugh was on the laugh-track of the "I Love Lucy" TV shows:)

I'm not really into electronics, except the computer, someone was trying to talk me into winning an iPad or iPhone or whatever in an online contest, it doesn't appeal to me.

Quote:
English, itself, will probably always be called, "English," though if time travel were possible, a visitor from the 1600s would likely wonder with what manner of frowardness we would so unintelligibly venture to express ourselves!

It is interesting, Kathleen, that you mention the French teacher. Therein I am reminded of several teachers I had in public school, and wonder if perhaps the teachers, themselves, have much to answer for in the formation of our vocabulary.

Our librarian, a wonderful man, and also a teacher in our elementary school, was from India, and apart from having a very strong reminder of his former home in the way he pronounced every word, also added, "Isn't it?" to the end of every sentence.

My French teacher was Irish, so I had the benefit in Canada of learning Parisian French with an Irish accent! (I will never understand why they teach us Canadian Anglos Parisian French, rather than Canadian French!)

Perhaps the entire mix from around the world is the greatest influence on the simplification and loss of sharpness and beauty in our present form of English. I simply shudder to think what it will be like, once the SMS language is fully integrated into our language!

Already, I here people SAY "ttyl," instead of "Talk to you later," and "lol," instead of actually laughing. I fear this is going to continue and increase.

As a very good friend of mine likes to say, "Woe is us."

God bless,

Dave
+0
12/8/2012 5:04:48 AM

Hi Mike,

you are absolutely correct about English being truly the only international language. Oddly I worked in some out of the ordinary places when lecturing, and admit to getting a bit complacent about it. After all I was in France, Russia, Hungary, Vietnam, Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine, and the Middle East at various times and ALWAYS lectured in English.

One notable lecture was held in a church in Kiev - you know the sort with the golden onions on top? There I lectured from a pulpit would you believe? To say it was a bit of a farce was an understatement as I had a Ukrainian 'instant' translator alongside me, who not only translated the words, but my every gesture and movement to the screen to illustrate points. At the first halfway break, people were asking me to stop him as it was annoying.

Easier said than done, but we managed after ensuring he would be paid anyway. He did have a case of the sulks though!

However I did get caught out in Vilnius (Lithuania) where I had a full house and cheerfully launched into my presentation. After a few minutes I realised I wasn't getting through to them, and asked the local representative what was amiss. Deeply embarrassed he told me the event had been publicised in Lithuanian, and it had never occurred to them that people would automatically assume the lecture was in that language.

The one and only time that happened in over 20 years! Lesson - check out the details and use the old acronym (is that right?) 'Never ASSUME anything - as it can make an ASS of U and ME.

How true.

Norm Clark
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/10/2012 11:09:57 PM
Norman, you have definitely seen a lot of the world!

I wish the so-called journalists who bring us the news, these days, as well as those who tell them what news to bring and how to spin it, would have half of your experience!

Dave
+0
12/11/2012 5:18:03 AM
Hi Dave,

wouldn't work. The main thing I have learned in my work and other travels, has been to realise how LITTLE I know, not how much - even sometimes when being present in a place when something major was happening! Journos. get 'fed' stuff by some really odd people - including their own Diplomats who in my experience often haven't got a clue as to what is happening from their closetted and ivory towered Embassies, or from those with painfully evident axes to grind.
This has made me a complete cynic about 'The News' anywhere and everywhere.
Ditto regarding so-called 'Research' findings. First question always has to be who financed/created this item? Then adjust accordingly, as there really are more than Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics involved.
Norm Clark
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2012 8:53:57 AM
Norm, this has become even more painfully clear to me, since this mess began in Syria.

Here in the west, we have the western governments and media telling us that we must save the Syrian people from their evil dictator leader by giving arms and perhaps even military support to these wonderful rebels who want nothing more than democracy...

Except that these are the same people who led the revolutions across North Africa and around the westen Mediterranean, with the exception of Israel, of course. These wonderful, democracy-loving rebels have done a real bang-up job of bringing democracy in, haven't they?

All the underground information, and some of it claiming to be from CIA insiders, which I have a difficult time disbelieving, says that what was REALLY going on in Benghazi was a US operation to funnel weapons captured from Ghadafi's arsenal to the rebels in Syria, whom the world seems to have conveniently forgotten STARTED that little skirmish...

Add to that the fact that I have a friend living and traveling extensively in Syria, a Syrian national and fellow pastor, who regularly contacts me, and whom I have spoken with face to face via Skype (when the internet is working in Syria at one of the internet cafes) and who tells me that while Assad is bad, the rebels are MUCH MORE to be feared, Sunni extremists, with close ties to el-Quaida.

So, while the west sleeps and listens to their monosyllabic soliloquies being spoon fed them via the government supported media, the leaders of the free world are arming el-Quaida,whom we have been fighting for years, and opening up the Middle East and all of North Africa to the very real possibility of setting off WWIII.

And they began by allowing the murder of the English language. Whoever thought that was a non-issue??

Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!