Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
2/4/2013 7:21:26 PM
Hi Miguel,

The more work of Dali I see the more fascinated I am. What is that on the left, why do you suppose that is there. It looks odd to me, but maybe that is why it is there. It is mystifying to me. I don't know why I try to figure why on his paintings, it is exciting to behold.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/6/2013 1:08:09 AM
Roger,

That was a great profile of Dali, the person, and Dali the artist in just a few lines - plus an insightful opinion regarding Dali's place among other great artists. Just wonderful.

I guess Dali's arrogance or, rather, the form it adopted had a lot to do with the special, crazy times in which he lived. In fact, they influenced each other. Curiously enough, this flaw in his character did not alienate the people's affection for him. At any rate, the fact that he really was a great artist (his more than 3,000 works, many of which really were masterpieces, attest to it) preclude, in my opinion, any ridiculing him or his attitudes.

As to the below mural, it is only one of several works by him that I considered posting on this thread, but somehow did not find their way into it. Who knows, maybe it was waiting for you to correct my omission.

Hugs,

Miguel

Quote:

These are so beautiful in their own ways.

Dali was a show-off but not just for the sake of it.

By experimenting with styles he created altered copies of other artist's works, he created modern works with modern materials and he saw, like all good artists, opportunities to create a moment or personal event instantly.

Like most artists or indeed aspiring artists like myself, Dali liked people to notice his work. he didn't really care if they liked the work as long as they had an opinion. if somebody says that they like my work then I'm delighted, if they say that they dislike it I don't defend it, BUT, I try to explain why it is like it is and then accept their opinion. Sometimes people say that they like a painting that I'm not happy with, then tell me why.

All of these things are part of being an artist.

Firstly, a personal need to produce an image or to capture one, or even try to copy one.

Secondly, a desire to achieve a particular standard which you are happy with (or if it's a comission then the client).

A desire to experiment.

A desire to please (yourself, others or both).

A pride in work well done or a lesson learned.

I could go on, but, even Dali would have felt these things but a big difference was that he had developed an arrogance that told him that whatever others said it was good. This sets him aside from most of the other great artists.

I think that this mural is special.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/6/2013 1:46:44 AM
Hi Myrna, the main of the two small figures looks like a mermaid with her tail turned into a gondola's bow. The effect is very beautiful. The other small figure very much looks like one of those small chair-boats that you propel with your feet on pedals from a lying position. I don't know what they can possibly represent or symbolize in the painting (Mural Painting for Helena Rubbinstein of 1942). Hugs,

Miguel

Quote:
Hi Miguel,

The more work of Dali I see the more fascinated I am. What is that on the left, why do you suppose that is there. It looks odd to me, but maybe that is why it is there. It is mystifying to me. I don't know why I try to figure why on his paintings, it is exciting to behold.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/9/2013 2:05:13 AM

Dear friends, in the next few posts I would like to show some of Dali's masterworks that somehow I have failed to include
along this thread.

For now, let me show this most famous one (how could I miss it?):

Salvador Dali - One Second Before Awakening from a Dream Caused by
the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate
(
oil on canvas, 1944)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/9/2013 2:33:10 AM

Three lesser-known but most accomplished masterworks of 1936:

Salvador Dali - The Dream places a Hand on a Man's Shoulder (oil on canvas, 1936)

Salvador Dali -
Bread on the Head of the Prodigal Son
(oil on canvas, 1936)

Salvador Dali -
The Pharmacist of Ampurdan in Search of Absolutely Nothing
(oil on panel, 1936)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!