Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
12/27/2012 9:51:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Here is another portrait of Sir James Dunn by Dali - perhaps better known than the previous one.

Salvador Dali - Portrait of Sir James Dunn (oil on canvas, 1958)

Sir James was one of Dali's few real friends. The affluence comes through in this image but also there is a soft feeling of love and familiarity.

A fine painting, understated which makes it work.

Roger

Yes Roger, I remember this portrait of him featured on your thread about Dali a couple of years ago and how it somehow impressed me that Dali had a few portrayed people whom he could call his real friends.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/28/2012 12:52:05 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Here is another portrait of Sir James Dunn by Dali - perhaps better known than the previous one.

Salvador Dali - Portrait of Sir James Dunn (oil on canvas, 1958)

Sir James was one of Dali's few real friends. The affluence comes through in this image but also there is a soft feeling of love and familiarity.

A fine painting, understated which makes it work.

Roger

Dali is something else. Even in this painting of Dunn, there is a crazy looking cloud, that looks to me like a dog standing on it's front legs with a toy in it's mouth. I think he had a funny sense of humor and used it all the time. The picture of Mrs Dunn is the most perfect of all his paintings. Perfect meaning, nothing odd looking in the painting, like most of his paintings are some are just weird, kind of eerie at times.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/28/2012 1:57:55 AM

Dear friends, I would like to post, from now on, a number of paintings by Dali from about 1946 to 1981; I will be doing so by taking leaps from one another of several years each. I hope this way our tour will be more pleasant and variegated, but later on we may retrace our steps so as to make sure important works have not been missed on the way.

So let's start by showing two powerful images from the Greek-Roman past by Dali.

Salvador Dali - Double Image for "Destino" (oil and collage on panel, 1946)

Salvador Dali - The Colossus of Rhodes (oil on canvas, 1954)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/28/2012 2:21:09 AM
So sorry Myrna, I had no idea that you were back here; seems like we were both posting simultaneously. But I have taken note of your kind comment and will reply as soon as I get my breath back - I am in such an artistic rush right now. :)

Miguel

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/28/2012 2:36:26 AM

This magnificent work of 1960 is apparently not as well-known as the other great religious works of Dali. Can it be some sites abstain from showing it because of its controversial content? Yet to me at least, it is absolutely fantastic. And a fascinating detail in it: Dali painted himself as its author at the bottom-left hand corner of the canvas (as his admired Velazquez did in his most famous 'Las Meninas') as Gala approaches holding a crucifix.

Salvador Dali - The Ecumenical Council (oil on canvas, 1960)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!