Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
12/19/2012 7:55:54 PM

Of the previous three my preference is for

The Weaning of Furniture-Nutrition

However, I have no idea what it really aims to say.

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/19/2012 8:01:48 PM

Miguel,

A well executed painting which has the commonly used image of a reflection or twin but with deep meaning. I'm not sure that I reall fully understand the description but it is intriguing.

The folds in the woman's skirt looks very much like a pair of hands.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/19/2012 10:09:58 PM
Roger,

I am afraid you need a little background and some clues with this one in order to understand what it is meant to convey. I just remembered that I read the info before I posted it but I later forgot, my fault actually.

The Weaning of Furniture-Nutrition (1934)

The center portion of this painting shows Dali's aging nurse Lucia sitting with her back to us, in the position of a netmender. Netmending was an important task in the Catalan fishing villages of Dali's youth, and he associates that importance with Lucia. The hole cut from her back is a paranoiac-critical transformation whose original inspiration came from Dali's visit to Paris in 1928. There he visited the Hotel of the Invalids, which sported windows made from mannequins with holes cut into their mid-riffs. He transforms them into the seated Lucia here, who is also shown being propped up by a crutch, here a symbol of solemnity, a wish by Dali to support her as she grows older.

Next to Lucia, to her right, are a medicine table and bottle, supposedly the 'object' that has been removed from Lucia's back. Next to that is another smaller chest and bottle, these having been removed from the first.

To Lucia's left are 4 fishing boats which have been pulled up onto the shoreline. As is suggested by both Lucia's netmending, and the boats themselves, fishing was of paramount importance to the Catalonians on the coastline. Despite the craggy rocks and treacherous currents, fish had always been a staple in Dali's time. Farther off in the distance are a building and then the unique stepped hills of the Coasta Brava.

This work is actually very small in person, like many of the oil on panel paintings that Dali was doing at the time. It is reported that some of these were fashioned by Dali's use of a single horsehair for a brush, creating intricate levels of detail. When viewed in person, one can actually see the individual brush strokes in this work, which imparts a new sense of respect for Dali's still blooming talents.

Quote:

Of the previous three my preference is for

The Weaning of Furniture-Nutrition

However, I have no idea what it really aims to say.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/20/2012 9:18:11 AM

Miguel,

That's really helpful.

We learn more by the day here.

it's great swapping information.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/20/2012 10:19:26 PM
Dear friends, let me show now some of the most provocative paintings that you will ever be apt to find among Dali's relatively early works. To some, they will be the exact opposite of what art is supposed to be: beautiful, colorful, relaxing... And yet... For my part, I will abstain from qualifying or disqualifying them. I will only mention that had he not painted them, Dali very probably would not be Dali .

Salvador Dali - Face of Mae West Which May Be Used as an Apartment
(
gouache on newspaper,
circa 1935)

Salvador Dali - The Specter of Sex Appeal (
oil on canvas, 1934)

Salvador Dali - The Anthropomorphic Cabinet (gouache on black paper, 1936)

Salvador Dali - Ant Face
(Drawing for the Catalogue Jacket of Dalí's Exhibition at the Alex Reid and Lefevre Gallery in London)
(gouache on black paper, 1936)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!