Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
4/25/2012 8:42:33 AM

Not just great processes but wonderful imagination.

Fascinating art.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2012 1:20:21 AM
Painted by Cole in 1833-36, The Course of Empire depicts five phases of civilization through which a city builds to grandeur and then decays. As critics point out, these paintings represented the Romantic fear that the advancements of modern life were encroaching on the idyllic days of the past and would end detriorating the fabric of civilization. You may view them below and if you want to view them enlarged, you may additionally click on each image.

The Course of Empire

The Savage State

The Arcadian or Pastoral State

The Consummation of Empire

Destruction

Desolation

(All works oil on canvas, painted by Thomas Cole in 1833-1836)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2012 2:10:20 AM
Hi Miguel,

Wow, Thomas Cole has a lot of detail. These paintings are so lovely. I wonder how much they would sell for. I bet it would be a very nice sum of cash.

I was wondering how long it would take to paint a painting with so much detail, and such small detail at that.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2012 6:29:39 PM

Miguel.

Lots to look at here. There is a common style despite the very different scenes.

Myrna,

It must be MANY hours.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2012 9:48:01 PM
Quote:
Hi Miguel,

Wow, Thomas Cole has a lot of detail. These paintings are so lovely. I wonder how much they would sell for. I bet it would be a very nice sum of cash.

I was wondering how long it would take to paint a painting with so much detail, and such small detail at that.

Hi Myrna,

As I recently told Roger, the Hudson River School members, and particularly Thomas Cole, would not shy from hard work. They can be said to have enjoyed painting as much detail as possible to make their works magnificent, but never to such an extent as to overwhelm the viewer with grandiosity. I guess that is why they all look so spiritual.

As to their monetary worth, I believe it to be incalculable. There are many art works that sell for thousands and even millions of dollars, but it does not necessarily mean that they are that worth but that they have been made to be that worthy by fame and other factors.

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!