Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
4/20/2012 1:32:29 AM
Quote:

So beautiful.

I love the little details like the smoke in the distance on the first two paintings. This brings the painting to life, like movement in animal subjects.

A master of perspective too.

Always a pleasure to read your comments, Roger. Thomas Cole may not have been recognized at first as the great painter he was, probably because of his independent approach to art; but he certainly mastered his trade.

I wanted to post more paintings by him today, but there seemed to be a problem with The Atheneum site that blocked the images from showing up. So I have been replacing them with images from Artcyclopedia and other sites, which took a good amount of time.

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/20/2012 1:31:32 PM

Some of the gallery sites are very protective. It can be annoying.

I think that this one is extraordinary.

Title : Expulsion - Moon and Firelight

Artist : Thomas Cole

Expulsion - Moon and Firelight // Thomas Cole // (1801-1848) // Oil on canvas, c.1828 // 35 7/8 x 47 7/8 inches (91.3 x 121.9 cm)

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/21/2012 12:41:26 AM

Thank you Roger for your contribution, it is indeed extraordinary.

Something that I previously wanted to say about Thomas Cole and the other Hudson River School members (and also about many other great painters from other schools and movements, but in particular those from the Romantic school at large) is they would not shy from hard work, which is shown in the many exquisite details in their works. Among the huge number of minute details i
n the below painting, for example: Is that a wolf that is coming down the path on the left towards the precipice, or just an old tree trunk lying on its side? Would I love to view the work itself to verify this. And yet, all this profusion of detail would not deprive them of any of their beauty, on the contrary, given the great magnificence of most of them, it would enhance it.

Thomas Cole - Sunrise in the Catskill Mountains (oil on canvas, 1826)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/21/2012 1:18:38 AM
Landscape Composition: St. John in the Wilderness

(click on image to enlarge)

Thomas Cole - Saint John in the Wilderness (oil on canvas, 1827)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/21/2012 5:00:35 AM

Miguel,

I agree so much with your observations.

There is no detail that is either just for the sake of it. Detail either exists for real or is there to give atmosphere.

On the previous painting I love the mist and cloud in the valley.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!