Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Now, That's Italian!
10/31/2011 9:49:44 PM

Hello Friends,

Perhaps no other country in the world has a cooking style so finely fragmented into different divisions. So why is Risotto typical of Milan, why did Tortellini originate in Bologna, and why is Pizza so popular in Naples? This is so for the same reason that Italy has only one unifying Italian language, yet hundreds of different spoken dialects. Italy is a country of great variety, and Italian cooking is just another aspect of the diversity of Italian culture. This diversity in Italian food stems largely from peasant heritage and geographical differences. Italy is a peninsula separated from the rest of the continent by the highest chain of mountains in Europe. In addition, a long spine of mountains runs north to south down through this narrow country.

These geographic features create a myriad of environments with noticeable variations: fertile valleys, mountains covered with forests, cool foothills, naked rocks, Mediterranean coastlines, and arid plains. A great variety of different climates have also created innumerable unique geographical and historical areas.
But geographical fragmentation alone will not explain how the same country produced all of these: the rich, fat, baroque food of Bologna, based on butter, parmigiano, and meat; the light, tasty, spicy cooking of Naples, mainly based on olive oil, mozzarella, and seafood; the cuisine of Rome, rich in produce from the surrounding countryside; and the food of Sicily, full of North African influences.
The explanation is actually hidden in the past; the multitudes of food styles of Italy mainly result from its history. Divided for a long time into many duchies, princedoms, kingdoms, and states—often hostile to one another—political unification in Italy did not occur until 1861. Many populations in the past three thousand years have occupied Italian territory, and most of them contributed their own traditions.
Today we'll be trying one of my family's favorites, Saltimbocca. Saltimbocca are veal scaloppini prepared very simply by assembling together slices of tender veal, prosciutto, and fresh sage leaves. While there are many variations on Saltimbocca with the addition of cheese or Marsala wine, tonight's version opts for the simplest recipe, just as it is cooked in Roman kitchens.
Saltimbocca are very popular in Italy, but in the United States it is often quite difficult to find a butcher who knows how to properly cut them. Saltimbocca are thin slices of veal cut from the top round, and the slices must be cut across the vein of the muscles so that the fibers of the meat are short and the meat is tender. If they are cut along the vein, as they usually are in the States, then the meat curls and toughens while cooking. To prevent the meat from toughening, simply make the slices very thin and thump them with a meat pounder.

Veal Scaloppini with Prosciutto and Sage - Saltimbocca alla Romana

Ingredients

2 oz flour
salt
4 veal scaloppini slices, about 1 lb
4 prosciutto slices, approximately 3 oz
4 leaves of fresh sage
2 – 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons (40 gr) butter
pepper
1/2 cup (120 cc) dry white wine
Directions
Put the flour on a large plate and add a pinch of salt. Dredge the veal slices in the flour, so that they are all well covered on both sides. Shake away the excess flour.
Place on each slice of meat, a slice of prosciutto and a leaf of fresh sage. Secure the three together with a toothpick.
In a large frying pan, put the oil and the butter, and turn the heat to medium. When the butter begins foaming, place the meat in the pan. Season with salt and pepper and sauté gently on both sides until light brown.
Add the wine, turn the heat to medium high, and let the wine evaporate. Place on individual plates, covering the slices with the sauce and serve warm.
Have A Terrific Week My Friends,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/2/2011 6:24:18 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we're having our Chicken in just a little diferent style. This baked chicken recipe is ready in just 30 minutes and the easy breadcrumb and Parmesan coating keeps it moist and delicious.

Tender Italian Baked Chicken

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip chicken into the mayonnaise mixture, then into the bread crumbs to coat. Arrange coated chicken on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken juices run clear and coating is golden brown. Serves 4.

'Italian Butter' is a really cute name for this. I love dipping warm bread into this mixture. It's a wonderful appetizer that's a definite crowd pleaser, so you might want to double or triple the recipe to make enough for a crowd. Serve with some warm French bread.

Italian Butter

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions

1. Using a spice or coffee grinder, grind together red and black peppers, dried herbs, garlic powder, minced garlic, and salt.
  2. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of herb mixture onto a small plate. Pour a thin layer of olive oil on top, and serve. Store remaining mixture in an air-tight container. Makes 1/2 Cup or enough to serve 3-4.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2011 9:49:49 PM

Hello My Friends,

Many of the ingredients for this classic flavor-packed pasta are probably already in your pantry, thereby making this a perfect weeknight meal.

Pasta Puttanesca

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, minced
3 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped (scant 1 Tbs.)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
One 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 lb. dried spaghetti
1/2 cup pitted brine-cured black olives, such as Kalamata, coarsely chopped
2 Tbs. nonpareil capers, rinsed and drained
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.

Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. of the olive oil with the garlic in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic

is sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the anchovies and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is very pale golden, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes. Increase the heat to medium high, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.

After adding the tomatoes to the pan, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions until al dente.

When the tomato sauce is ready, add the olives, capers, and oregano and stir. Simmer until just heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil and season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

When the pasta is ready, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain well. Return the pasta to the pot, set it over medium-low heat, pour in the sauce, and toss, adding cooking water as needed for the sauce to coat the pasta. Serve immediately along with this easy Garlic-Parmesan Bread.

Perfect alongside pastas and soups, this easy garlic and cheese mixture adds the right amount of flavor to artisan breads.

Garlic-Parmesan Bread

Ingredients:
8 Tbs. (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened
1/4 cup lightly packed finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, very finely minced or grated on a rasp-style grater
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium loaf artisan-style bread with a tight crumb (I like wide bâtard shapes, not baguettes)

Directions:

Heat the oven to 425°F.

In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the butter, Parmigiano, oil, garlic, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Pulse a few times to blend but don’t overprocess or the butter might separate. If mixing by hand, mash together with a fork or a wooden spoon.

Slice the bread 1 inch thick, cutting almost but not all the way through the bottom crust, so it’s easy to pull apart. Spread a light, even coating of the butter mixture on both sides of each slice of bread. (You may not need all the butter; refrigerate any leftover for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.) Wrap the bread in foil and put the loaf on a baking sheet to catch any butter that runs out. Heat in the oven for about 15 minutes, then open the top of the foil to slightly crisp the top of the loaf, about 5 more minutes. Serve while hot.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2012 8:46:05 PM

Hello My Friends,

As you know, I love to eat, and also I like just about any Cuisine or style of cooking. This week, I'll be highlighting recipes that pay homage to one of the most beloved cuisines in the world. If you love Italian food, as you know that I do, then get ready to grab the good cheese, roll up your sleeves, slice some garlic, and make some fresh sauce.

In today's dish, the combination of sweet-and-savory roasted squash, tangy goat cheese, and fresh herbs brings big flavor to this lasagne, while the tender pasta keeps things light.

Butternut Squash Lasagne with Goat Cheese, Sage, and Breadcrumbs

1 large butternut squash (about 3 lb.), halved lengthwise and seeded
2 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 sprigs fresh thyme plus 2 tsp. chopped leaves
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
5 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 sprigs fresh sage plus 1 tsp. chopped leaves
1-1/8 oz. (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1-1/4 cups crumbled fresh goat cheese (4 oz.)
1 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano (2 oz.)
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs or panko
1 16oz Box of Lasagne Noodles or 1 recipe Fresh Pasta for Lasagne (*See Below)

Roast the squash and garlic

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F.

Put the squash cut side up on a large, heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet. Put 1 garlic clove and 1 sprig of thyme in each cavity. Drizzle each half with 1 tsp. of the oil and then season each with 1/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper. Roast until the squash is browned in spots and very tender when pierced with a skewer, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.

Discard the thyme sprigs. Peel the garlic and put in a large bowl. Scoop the squash flesh from the skins and add it to the garlic. Mash with a fork until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.

Make a goat cheese and sage sauce

Melt 4 Tbs. of the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the sage sprigs and cook until the butter is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Discard the sage. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and golden, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Stir in the goat cheese, 1/2 cup of the pecorino, the nutmeg, 1 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Season to taste with more salt and pepper. Set aside 1-1/2 cups of the sauce and mix the rest with the mashed squash.

Season the breadcrumbs

Melt the remaining 1 Tbs. butter in a small skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, chopped sage, chopped thyme, a pinch of salt, and few grinds of pepper. Add the melted butter and mix well.

Assemble and bake the lasagne

Spread 1/2 cup of the reserved cheese sauce over the bottom of a 9x13x3-inch baking dish. Cover the sauce with a slightly overlapping layer of cooked noodles, cutting them as needed to fill any gaps. Spread 1 cup of the squash mixture evenly over the noodles. Add another layer of noodles and repeat the layers as instructed above, to make a total of 4 squash layers and 5 pasta layers. Spread the remaining 1 cup cheese sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup pecorino.

Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the top is browned and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.

If you have never made lasagne with fresh pasta, you are in for a treat; the thinness of the pasta lets the flavors of the sauce and cheese marry to create a lasagne that’s light and truly special. It cannot be duplicated with thicker store-bought noodles. Makes about 1 lb of Pasta or enough for a 9x13 Pan of Lasagna.

11-1/4 oz. (2-1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more as needed
4 large eggs, at room temperature
Kosher salt
Tip: It’s important to use room-temperature eggs when making fresh pasta because they’ll be more readily absorbed by the flour.

Make the dough

Mound the flour on a clean work surface. With your hands, make a high-walled, 7- to 8-inch-diameter well in the center of the flour. Crack the eggs into the well. With a fork, lightly beat the eggs, gradually pulling flour from the inner rim of the well into the egg, until a soft, clumpy dough begins to form. When the dough becomes difficult to work with the fork, use your hands to pull in the remaining flour from the well, kneading gently until the dough is cohesive.

Move the dough off to the side and, with a dough scraper, scrape up and discard any bits of dough stuck to the work surface. Clean your hands. Lightly dust the surface and your hands with flour and knead the dough, adding more flour as needed, until it becomes smooth, elastic, and just a bit tacky, about 5 minutes. Cover the dough with a clean towel and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Roll the dough
Tip: Don’t layer the pasta on kitchen towels if you use a scented fabric softener because the pasta will pick up the scent—use parchment instead.

Lay a clean tablecloth or several kitchen towels on a counter. Cut the dough into 6 pieces and cover with a towel. With your hands, flatten and shape one piece of dough into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle. Dust it lightly with flour and pass it through the widest setting on the pasta machine. If the dough comes out oddly shaped, reform into a rectangle. Fold it in thirds, like a letter, and if necessary, flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Pass it through the widest setting again with the seam of the letter perpendicular to the rollers. Repeat this folding and rolling step 10 to 12 times, dusting the dough with flour if it becomes sticky.

Without folding the dough, pass it through the next setting on the pasta machine. Keep reducing the space between the rollers after each pass, lightly dusting the pasta with flour on both sides each time, until the pasta is about 1/16 inch thick and 3 inches wide.

Lay the rolled-out dough on the tablecloth. Roll out the remaining dough in the same manner. Cut each strip of dough into 11-inch lengths.

Cook the pasta

Bring a 10-quart pot of well-salted (at least 1 Tbs. salt) water to a boil over high heat. Put a large bowl of ice water near the pot of boiling water. Line a rimmed baking sheet with two clean kitchen towels or sheets of parchment and have more towels or parchment ready.

Put 3 or 4 noodles in the boiling water. Once the water returns to a boil, cook for about 30 seconds. With a large wire skimmer, carefully transfer them to the ice water to stop the cooking. Repeat with the remaining noodles.

Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water. Very gently squeeze each noodle to remove excess water and then spread it flat on the towel-lined baking sheet. Layer the noodles between clean towels (or parchment) and set aside until you’re ready to assemble the lasagne.

Have A Marvelous Monday My Friends,

Phil

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2012 9:47:02 PM
thanks for the meatball recipe PHIL .... mine sometimes don't stay together.

pat

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

I never knew how good meatballs could really taste, until I found this recipe. I normally make mine with just ground beef and they still taste great, however, I've also used the combination of pork, beef and veal and they are equally good. I definitely use fresh bread crumbs and freshly grate your cheese instead of using the canned variety, it really does make a difference.

The Best Meatballs

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground veal
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 cups stale Italian bread, crumbled
  • 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
  • 1 cup olive oil

Directions

1. Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
  2. Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the water 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs. (I usually use about 1 1/4 cups of water). Shape into meatballs.
  3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Fry meatballs in batches. When the meatball is very brown and slightly crisp remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel. (If your mixture is too wet, cover the meatballs while they are cooking so that they hold their shape better.) Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!