Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Now, That's Italian!
10/7/2011 9:35:40 PM

Hello Friends,

Ladies, you make it all worthwhile with such nice compliments. I do love to eat good Food and Italian is definitely one of my favorites.

Regione: Abruzzo

In the rugged mountainous regions of central Italy, Ragùs often feature native game such as wild hare or rabbit, wild boar or pork, or even mutton or lamb. Lamb Ragù, in particular, is a specialty of Abruzzo. Farmers there have raised sheep for centuries, letting them graze in mountain pastures during the spring and summer, and herding them south to the milder climate of Puglia for the winter. Traditionally, tender cuts of lamb are grilled and roasted, while tougher cuts are simmered to tenderness in ragù. The Abruzzesi also love adding chile pepper, either fresh, dried, or preserved in oil to their Ragùs, and some is always set out for passing at the table. This Ragù is traditionally served with maccheroni alla chitarra, a squarecut noodle similar to thick spaghetti.

Spaghetti with Abruzzese Lamb Ragu

2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 lb. boneless lamb shoulder or leg of lamb, cut into 6 or 8 pieces
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, lightly crushed
1 Tbs. minced fresh herbs, such as rosemary and sage
1/2 cup dry red or white wine, such as Montepulciano d’Abruzzo or Orvieto
6 cups canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
1 1/2 lb. thick spaghetti or maccheroni alla chitarra

Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano shavings for serving (optional)

Minced fresh hot chile or crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
Tip: You can make this sauce with either red or white wine; consdier using red during the colder months for a heartier flavor.

Make the ragu

Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other heavy-duty pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season the lamb on both sides with salt and pepper and sear the meat on one side until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, turn and sear the other side until browned, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer the lamb to a deep platter.

Reduce the heat to medium low and add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and herbs. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Return the lamb and its juice to the pot, raise the heat to medium high, and pour in the wine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low or low to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover partially and let the sauce simmer until the lamb is forktender, about 2-1/2 hours. Using tongs, transfer the meat to a cutting board and let it cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, if the sauce seems thin, let it continue simmering until thickened to a saucy consistency. If it seems too thick, add a splash of water.

Shred the lamb with two forks and return it to the pot. Simmer gently until the meat is heated through. Season to taste with salt.

Cook the pasta and serve

When ready to serve, bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, you want it to still have some bite because it will continue to cook a bit while you’re tossing it with the ragù. Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water and then drain the pasta. Return it to the pot and toss it with some of the ragù, adding a little cooking water if it seems dry. Serve the pasta with more ragù spooned over the top. Garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano, if you like, and serve with minced chiles or red pepper flakes on the side. Yields about 1-1/2 quarts - Serves 6 to 8.

These full bodied red wines are bold and fruity, allowing them to work well with this recipe. Viva Italia combines six bottles representing the best wine growing regions and varieties of Italy, from Alto Adige in the north to Sicily in the south. Also included in the gift set is the book, 125 Best Italian Recipes, (208 pages, $19.95 value) which, as the name states, gives you some of the best recipes this foodie nation has to deliver.
Have A Terrific Weekend,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/7/2011 9:43:46 PM
i hope this easy veggie bake is considered italian. it's delicious

pat

Parmesan Zucchini

4 - 6 fresh zucchini, coarsely chopped
One quarter cup butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Two thirds cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (I would use less!!!)

Saute zucchini in butter with salt, pepper and lemon juice, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.

The Skinny: You could leave out the Parmesan cheese but then it wouldn’t be Parmesan Zucchini, would it?

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/7/2011 9:57:31 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

I had some of these just the other Evening and I'm sure that they would taste Great with these Italian Delights.

So simple and quick to make, these delicious knots of herb-seasoned bread will do well to complete just about any meal. Or eat these tasty knots as a snack between meals, with your favorite spread slathered on! Using fresh rosemary makes these knots especially fragrant.

Garlic Knots

Ingredients

• 2 (11 ounce) containers refrigerated breadstick dough
  • 2 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Tie the dough into 12 knots and place them onto a cookie sheet. Brush the knots with the egg, and sprinkle the rosemary and garlic onto the knots. Bake the knots according to the package directions. Serves 8 - Makes about 2 Dozen Knots.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2011 9:15:17 PM

Hi Pat,

That Zucchini sounds delicious and yes, that's Italian enough. Today, we'll finish our Italian tour with a Sicilian Ragù.

Regione: Sicily

In the south, where tomatoes are meaty, fullflavored, and plentiful, it makes sense that the ragùs reflect this abundance, in other words, more tomato and less meat. In fact, they’re similar to the traditional “red sauce” that most people are familiar with. When Italian-Americans talk about “Sunday sauce” or “gravy,” they mean this classic southern Italian ragù. Sicilian ragùs, in particular, are often made with lots of tomato and veal or pork. Personally, I’m especially fond of variations, like the one below, where we add crumbled pork sausage to the mix to further punch up the flavor of the sauce.

Pasta with Sicilian Pork and Sausage Ragù

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 lb. boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
1 cup dry red wine, such as Sicilian Nero d’Avola
3 cups strained tomatoes or tomato purée
3 dried bay leaves
1/2 lb. sweet Italian pork sausage (3 links)
2 lb. short, sturdy pasta, such as penne, rigatoni, or cavatappi
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving

Make the ragu

Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other heavy-duty pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season the pork generously on both sides with salt and pepper and sear the meat on both sides until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Using tongs, transfer the pork to a deep platter.

Reduce the heat to medium low and add the garlic and onion to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Return the pork to the pot, raise the heat to medium high, and add the wine. Let it bubble for a minute or two and then add the tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low to maintain a gentle simmer.

Remove the sausages from their casings and break the meat apart over the pot, allowing it to fall into the sauce in small clumps. Cover the pot and simmer gently, adjusting the heat as necessary, for 30 minutes. Uncover and turn the pork shoulder; then re-cover and continue to cook at a gentle simmer, turning the meat once or twice more, until very tender, about 1-1/2 hours.

Transfer the pork to a cutting board with tongs and let cool for a few minutes. Using two forks, shred the meat and return it to the sauce. Cook over low heat until the meat and sauce are heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook the pasta and serve

When ready to serve, bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente—you want it to still have some bite because it will continue to cook a bit while you’re tossing it with the ragù. Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water and then drain the pasta. Return it to the pot and toss it with some of the ragù, adding a little cooking water if it seems dry. Serve the pasta with more ragù spooned over the top, garnished with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, if you like. Yields around 2 quarts - Serves 8-12.

6 Wines for $49.99 delivered from WineTasting.com! Shop Now.
Have A Marvelous Monday My Friends,
Phil

+0
10/10/2011 9:30:30 PM

Phil, this sounds like some good learning lessons on the real thing. I know little or actually zero about real Italian cooking. Yes, I am one of those who opens the jar for this!!! The first thing I noticed was your mention of noodles.

Venetian Duck Ragù is typically served with fat, tubular buckwheat noodles called bigoli, but it’s also quite delicious with whole-wheat fettuccine, spaghetti, or pappardelle, as shown here.

It seems each country has their own version of buckwheat noodles. I have learned that the Japanese use them as in soba noodles. My daughter-in-law goes to a lot of trouble making soba soup and has it even served up a cold version in summer for us. It takes 2 people to make it according to her (laughing) as my son as to help cool the noodles. It is good but that is too much in my opinion.

I will read on and certainly try some of your versions of ragu.

Thanks,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!