Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Van Gogh's "self-portrait" actually his brother: study
5/4/2013 7:46:41 AM
Quote:
Dear Roger and Jo,

So sorry to take this long to reply you both, but I did not want to let this particular issue go any longer without some clarification. In effect, in all this time no voice has been raised to say the authors of the note were right (or wrong) on their claim (this latter must be said as well). On the contrary, an almost absolute silence ensued after it and the painting, whether or not Vincent Van Gogh's self-portrait, remains in exhibition in the Van Gogh's Museum in the Netherlands as if nothing ever happened and that I know, neither has it ever been put down from any major website where it is shown.

This said,
below is a very similar self-portrait, enlarged (the hats are identical in both self-portraits; on the other hand, if you want to see more Vincent Van Gogh's self-portraits, please visit here).

Vincent Van Gogh - Self Portrait with a Grey Felt Hat
(oil on board, 1886 - 1887)

Strangely enough, I had voiced this opinion to my tutor a few weeks ago and he had never heard the claim.

Interesting however.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Van Gogh's "self-portrait" actually his brother: study
5/4/2013 10:48:24 AM

I guess their claim was motivated by sheer love of figuration, Roger :)

On the other hand, while that particular self portrait was not Vincent Van Gogh's best one, it is pretty good and in line with all his others (see a full gallery
here).

Out of all of Van Gogh's self portraits I love this one of 1889 (click on it for a treat, and here for a fascinating review).

Miguel

Vincent Van Gogh

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!