Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Memorial Day - A Time To Remember and A Time To Say Thanks
5/28/2011 7:24:40 PM

Hello My Friends,

Thanksgiving is a day when we pause to give thanks for the things we have. Memorial Day, on the other hand, is a day when we pause to give thanks for the people who fought, and often died, for the things that we have, and the Freedom that we may enjoy our day to day lives in this wonderful Country.

Memorial Day is always Celebrated on the last Monday in May and honors those men and women who lost their lives serving their country. What we celebrate as Memorial Day today began at the end of the Civil War. Family members of the many soldiers slain in
battle would visit the grave sites of their fallen relatives or friends and decorate the graves with flowers.

On May 5, 1868, General John Logan proclaimed this day a holiday through his General Order No. 11. The day was entitled Decoration Day and was first observed on May 30, 1868. The northern states celebrated this day every year, but the southern states celebrated a day similar to this on a different day until sometime after World War I.

In 1882, the name Decoration Day was changed to Memorial Day, and in 1971, Memorial Day was declared a national holiday to be held on the last Monday of May every year. Over the years it has come to serve as a day to remember all U.S. men and women killed or missing in action in all wars.

I am truly grateful for the freedoms which we enjoy today. Too often, we take these gifts for granted, little realizing the sacrifice which was involved in ensuring that these freedoms continue to be a part of all of our lives. To be honest, how many of us think of Memorial Day as just another chance for a three-day weekend? A chance to go the lakes or beaches or mountains? A trip to Disneyland or Six Flags or some other amusement park?

If you are here in the United States, please remember to display the flag, not just for the day but for the whole weekend. Let's not forget the real reason for having this holiday. The quote below says it all. Please take the time to read it.

"It is, in a way, an odd thing to honor those who died in defense of our country in wars far away. The imagination plays a trick. We see these soldiers in our mind as old and wise. We see them as something like the Founding Fathers, grave and gray-haired. But most of them were boys when they died, they gave up two lives -- the one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. They gave up their chance to be revered old men. They gave up everything for their county, for us. The very least we should do is to remember." -- Ronald Wilson Reagan, Remarks at Veteran's Day ceremony, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, November 11, 1985.

May God Bless The USA, Her Soldiers, And Their Families.

As you go along your way this Memorial Day Weekend, if you happen to meet a Soldier, either one who is currently serving or one who has served in the past, shake his or her hand and say Thanks.

Have A Blessed Memorial Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Memorial Day - A Time To Remember and A Time To Say Thanks
5/28/2011 7:51:07 PM
Hi Phil,

thank you for doing this forum, it is so needed to honored our fallen.

I hope everyone watches the Memorial show on PBS Sunday night at 8:00 EST. It is repeated a little later, so you have 2 changes to see it. It is so well worth the watch.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
5/28/2011 9:28:15 PM

Thank you Phil for the forum to remember and salute our vets and to all military who serve the country! Honor and glory to all!!!

Have a safe and thankful Memorial weekend!

Love,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2011 11:24:19 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thank You for stopping by to pay Tribute to the Fallen. I know that I can always count on your support for my Forums my Friend. Thanks also for the Great Link to the PBS Special on Sunday night. I will definitely set my DVR just in case I'm not close to the TV.

If you'll click on the Memorial below, we'll spend a moment Remembering the Arizona...

Have A Wonderful & Safe Memorial Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/29/2011 12:20:46 AM

Hi Sara,

Another wonderful Friend that I can always count on to offer support for my Forums. Thanks for stopping by to say Thanks to all those Brave Young Men & Women who have fought, and quite often died, that we might be free.

Think with me for just a moment. If I were to ask you, do you feel that you are patriotic? What would you say? Click on the Candle below that it might keep burning on In Remembrance, and also that we might better Define Patriotism...

Have A Safe & Happy Memorial Day,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!