Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Corn Casserole
12/25/2010 3:17:29 AM

I am making this side dish tonight.

Corn Casserole

2 cans corn

1 can creamed corn

1 cup sour cream

1 egg, beaten

1/2 stick melted butter

1 box Jiffy mix

Drain liquid from regular corn but not from creamed corn. Mix all ingredients together in a casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.

+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Corn Casserole
12/25/2010 5:01:35 PM

Hi Donna,

This sounds delicious. I love Corn, although I never seem to eat a lot of it except at the Holidays.

This is another wonderful Corn side dish that goes great with either Ham or Pork. It was a big hit with our crowd back at Thanksgiving, and it's also very quick and easy to make.

Southern Corn Pudding

Ingredients

• 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup melted margarine
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 baking dish; set aside.
  2. Beat eggs until fluffy in a large bowl. Stirring constantly, pour in melted margarine. Stir in sugar, whole kernel corn, and cream-style corn until well combined. Dissolve the cornstarch in the milk; combine with the corn mixture. Stir in vanilla. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the pudding is puffed and golden, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean; about 1 1/2 hours

Wishing You A Wonderful Holiday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/14/2011 12:57:56 AM

Hi Phil,

That corn sounds good, too. I like corn on the cob, and frozen corn kernels to eat as they are with butter added. The canned corn is really good in casseroles, soups, etc. You can add a little to these recipes for extra fiber and veggie intake.

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/14/2011 10:41:31 PM

Hi Donna,

I think I'm going to try working more Corn into my diet from now on. The only concern I've ever had was the amount of natural sugar in Sweet Corn. However, if I start out with fresh corn instead of can, it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Fresh corn on the cob is wonderful, but fresh corn off the cob is a real treat too, and with this recipe, the reward for spending a few pleasant minutes cutting kernels off the cob is a sweet and flavorful corn sauté brightened with diced red peppers, thyme and a lift of lemon. This is a subtle, delicious vegetable side dish that goes splendidly with crab cakes, or any fish or poultry for that matter.

Lemon Thyme-Tinged Corn Sauté

Ingredients

5-7 ears fresh corn, husked

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 scallions, thinly sliced

1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced

1 small stal celery, finely chopped

2 tablespoon water

1 tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme, or thyme leaves

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Remove as much silk as possible from the corn and then, using a sharp chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob. You want to end up with 3 to 3 1/2 cups corn. You may not need all the corn if the ears are large. Set aside.

.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir in scallions, bell pepper and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.

Add the reserved corn and water to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the corn is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until it has melted. Stir in the thyme, lemon zest and salt. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for several minutes before serving

Have A Wonderful Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/15/2011 12:03:02 AM

Yum! Sounds delicious and worth making. When corn on the cob is in season again I will do so.

Yes, corn does have natural sugar so we need to find recipes that don't add any more sweetener. The fiber is beneficial and corn tastes so good, too.

DonnaZ

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!