Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: A RUSSIAN MODERN MYSTIC - NICHOLAS ROERICH
12/6/2010 10:40:26 AM

Luis,

I know that I have said this before but it amazes me how easy it is for us now to buy the paints and treated canvasses etc. and then I look at works like these from the 1800's and realise the work and experience that was involved in producing these masterpieces.

I would love to try and produce some images in his style (without copying). It would be a huge challenge because the compositions and the thoughts behind them are spiritual. I might choose a totally different subject but just try to understand his vision and technique. It would be a great challenge but I might just try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to be a nuisance, I like to do this to you because like me you love to know about other artists. Do you know this other Russian artist Victor Vasnetsov.

VISITORS HERE NOTE (The two following are not Roerich)

This just two wonderful examples of Vasnetsov's work.

Don't let me spoil your Roerich forum but go take a look at this man's work.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2010 5:16:23 PM
Hello Roger,

I have found a great deal of paintings by Viktor Vasnetsov (1848 - 1926) including his pretty famous Flying Carpet, but nowhere could I find the other one you posted. By the way, both paintings were pretty well chosen and they certainly caught my eye.

Reading a little about Vasnetsov, he seems to have been a great supporter of the realistic school in Russia, his country, until he mysteriously changed direction while in Paris and began to paint mythological art and the fairy-tale subjects for which he would become better known.

I love both paintings you posted but he had a hand for realism, too. Below is an interesting rendering of a church painted by Vasnetsov and Vasiliy Polenov. It was made in the early 1880s, at a time he was already immersed in mythological art.

Viktor Vasnetsov and Vasiliy Polenov - The Church in Abramsevo (1881-1882)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2010 5:21:07 PM

Amazing detail.

It looks like a photograph, which in reality sphere is a pretty big compliment.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2010 5:23:18 PM
Yes, it looks like a very good photograph.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2010 6:03:17 PM
Hi Luis,

This is gorgeous, it sure looks like a photo, not a painting. WOW

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1