Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: A RUSSIAN MODERN MYSTIC - NICHOLAS ROERICH
12/8/2010 8:48:04 PM

Magnificent!! Wonder how long that took to paint??

Wow!

Sara

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2010 8:52:59 PM
They used to have time in those days. And they did not shy back from detailed work.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/10/2010 12:53:32 AM
My friends,

Here are two other paintings by Viktor Vasnetsov that belong to his cosmological/mythological facet. He clearly possessed a great technical skill in his previous realistic style, which to me is a sort of pre-requisite to a fully successful artistic career. In fact, all of the most successful modern painters previously demonstrated a great pictorial ability during their more realistic stages. Picasso and Dali are good examples of this, they used to paint superb realistic portraits prior to their abstract and surreal stages.

Like many other artists in his time, Vasnetsov seems to have been looking for a personal style while in Paris, and when he finally painted his famous Flying Carpet he drew strong criticism from his fellow co-nationals, especially those belonging to the realistic school, who said he had betrayed their postulates; but at the same time, he attracted great attention from the public. I believe this was the main reason behind his change of style.

Of course, there was an intermediate stage where he mainly drew inspiration from the Slavic mythology; but from that to look for inspiration in fairy tales seems to have been too much for his critics.

That is what I love of Nicholas Roerich. Except for a few paintings inspired in the mythological Russian past, he apparently became obsessed by religion in its most authentic manifestations, those he was able to see and share in everyday during his constant travels. In a way, he did not have to chose a subject. His subject chose him.

This said, here are Vasnetsov's paintings (don't miss to click on the photos for great enlargements).

Viktor Vasnetsov - Kashchei the Immortal (1917–1928, oil on canvas)

Viktor Vasnetsov - Four Horsemen of Apocalypse (1887)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/10/2010 2:09:06 AM
Dear Friends,

I believe this Fujiyama painting deserves to be shown all by itself.

Nicholas Roerich - Fujiyama (1936, tempera on cardboard)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2010 2:27:47 AM
Finally, a major anomaly among Nicholas Roerich's paintings: a triptych. The subject of this work is deeply mystic and for its part, the choice of color is most appealing.

Nicholas Roerich - Fiat Rex! Triptych (1931, tempera on canvas)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!