Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Broccoli and Everything Salad
12/25/2010 7:16:03 PM

Hi Donna,

That's perfectly understandable, my Friend, the Hot Pepper Sauce is definitely optional. Not everyone is blessed with a Cast-Iron Stomach like mine. Still glad that you're enjoying the Recipes.

Wishing You & Your Family A Wonderful Christmas,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/28/2010 4:28:30 PM

Hi Donna,

Here's another one that I thought you might like. This is a delicious salad. You might use this as an alternative to the traditional pasta or potato salads at your next BBQ.

Spinach Basil Pasta Salad

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta
  • 1 (6 ounce) package spinach leaves
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 ounces prosciutto, diced
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts

Directions

1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the bow tie pasta and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
  2. Toss the spinach and basil together in a large bowl.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir the garlic in the hot oil for 1 minute; stir in the prosciutto and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add to the bowl with the spinach and basil mixture; toss to combine. Pour in the drained pasta and retoss. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and pine nuts to serve.

Have A Great Week My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/2/2011 7:42:55 PM

Hi Donna,

Here's one of my favorite Vegetarian Dishes to celebrate the New Year. This salad is so rich and sweet with flavor, and all the ingredients go great together! It is even better the next day.

Black-Eyed Pea Salad

Ingredients

• 2 (15.5 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, toss together black-eyed peas, tomato, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, red onion, celery, and parsley.
  2. In a small bowl, mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss into the vegetables. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator 8 hours, or overnight.

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/3/2011 7:12:11 PM

Hi Donna,

Following up on my New Year's resolution to eat healthier, I have decided to add more Grains to my diet. It seems that I also remember you wanting to add more fiber to your Diet as well. So, move over potatoes and pasta and make way for wild rice, couscous, bulgur wheat, brown rice, quinoa, and barley.

If anyone wants a grain that's a snap to prepare, Bulgur Wheat is their best bet. Bulgur Wheat cooks by rehydration. Simply pour twice the amount of boiling water or broth over dry bulgur and let it stand for 45 minutes. Bulgur Wheat's greatest claim to fame is Tabbouleh Salad, a Middle Eastern wheat and vegetable salad that has become quite popular in the U.S., however, Bulgur Wheat is also a terrific substitute for ground beef. When cooked in my vegetarian chili, for example, its texture becomes very similar to ground beef, and it offers more fiber and far less fat.

I also remember that you liked Shrimp as well, so here's a great salad to have on buffets, or it's quite satisfying as a meal on its own.

Coriander Tabbouleh Salad with Shrimp

Ingredients

• 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat), uncooked
  • 2 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 10 jumbo cooked shrimp - peeled and deveined

Directions

1. Place bulgur in a large bowl, and pour the boiling water and olive oil over it. Stir, cover, and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. When all of the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender, stir in the lemon juice, cucumber, green onions, parsley, and mint. Season with coriander, ginger, salt and pepper. Garnish with shrimp.

Have A Terrific Week My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/10/2011 8:29:51 PM

Hi Donna,

Here's another great deli-like salad, that's quick & easy to prepare. My family never seems to get tired of it. Personally, I prefer to use low-fat sour cream and mayonnaise, but the choice is yours. Serve on lettuce leaves, with tomato wedges for a garnish, and of course, I add my newest favorite crackers from Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins. Click on the Box Below to order online.

Imitation Crabmeat Salad

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1 pound imitation crab meat, flaked
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2/3 cup Italian-style salad dressing
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine onion, green pepper, celery and imitation crab meat.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, salad dressing, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
  3. Pour the dressing mixture into the crab/vegetable mixture and toss lightly to combine. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!