Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
11/29/2017 5:48:42 PM

Alien life? Bacteria ‘that had not been there’ found on ISS hull, Russian cosmonaut says

Edited time: 27 Nov, 2017 08:21

Shkaplerov, an ISS expedition flight engineer who will take his third trip to the ISS in December as part of the Expedition 54 crew, said that scientists found living bacteria while they were taking samples from the surface of the station. Speaking to TASS, he said that the microorganisms might have come from outer space.

“Bacteria that had not been there during the launch of the ISS module were found on the swabs,” Shkaplerov said. “So they have flew from somewhere in space and settled on the outside hull.” The cosmonaut added that the samples are currently being studied and seem to be safe.

Shkaplerov said that some microorganisms from Earth also survived in a vacuum and differences in temperature from -150C to 150C.

These bacteria accidentally entered outer space during the ‘Test’ and ‘Biorisk’ experiments, in which special pads are installed on the ISS hull and left there for several years to determine how the material is affected by the conditions in space.

However, traces of bacteria originating on Earth – from Madagascar – and plankton from the Barents Sea were earlier found during a ‘Test’ experiment in May. Scientists explained that they got there due to the ionosphere lift phenomenon, in which substances from our planet’s surface rise to the upper atmospheric layer. Following the discovery, Russian space agency Roscosmos along with other scientists suggested raising the upper border of the biosphere to 400 kilometers from the current altitude of 20 kilometers.

(RT)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/29/2017 11:52:45 PM

Huge asteroid to speed by Earth in mid-December

Geminid meteor shower by NASA photographer Lauren Harnett

POSTED:
NOV 26 2017 02:47PM MST
UPDATED:
NOV 26 2017 06:21PM MST

OUTER SPACE (Fox 32 News) -
A massive asteroid will be passing by Earth next month.

The asteroid is called 3200 Phaethon. A week before Christmas, it will come about 6.2 million miles from Earth, and within about 2 million miles of Earth's orbit.

This asteroid is not a new visitor. It comes by about every year and a half.

Phaethon is very large. It's about half the size of the asteroid that caused the end of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. It can be seen by large home telescopes.

The
Geminid meteor shower actually comes from Phaethon, so the two celestial events happen close together. The Geminids are going to light up the sky between Dec. 13 and Dec. 14. Phaethon is cruising by Earth on Dec. 17.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2017 10:22:22 AM

Japan's atomic dilemma: Pacifism and the threat of North Korea

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, left, fulfilled a long-held dream of acquiring nuclear weapons. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, right, thinks the time for dialogue with North Korea is over. (Yahoo News photo illustration; photos: AP, Getty)

TOKYO — The streets of Kasumigaseki, Tokyo, were lined with side-by-side Japanese and American flags for President Trump’s arrival in early November. Inside the district’s government buildings, civil servants had carefully prepared to give the often-unpredictable U.S. leader a promising welcome on the first stop of his 12-day, five-nation tour through Asia.

Any fears that the U.S. would no longer defend Japan (stemming from Trump’s campaign rhetoric about “global freeloading”) virtually disappeared as the two world leaders golfed, dined, autographed baseball hats and reaffirmed their commitment to the alliance. Both men agreed it was the time for pressure, not dialogue, with North Korea and that the full range of U.S. military capabilities — both conventional and nuclear — would be available for Japan’s protection.

The threat of North Korea and escalating tensions in East Asia have recently driven Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to expand the powers of Japan’s Self-Defense Forces (SDF). But the country still relies mainly on the United States’ nuclear umbrella and military for protection.

But not all Japanese are pleased with this arrangement. As the only country to have been attacked with atom bombs, Japan has long been committed to abolishing nuclear weapons and upholding pacifism. The government abides by three nonnuclear principles: not to manufacture, not to possess and not to introduce nuclear weapons. Despite decades of disarmament treaties and pledges there are still an estimated 15,395 nuclear weapons on earth and the pace of their reduction has slowed in recent years.

From Nov. 5 until Nov. 11, I traveled through the island nation on a journalism fellowship from Foreign Press Center Japan. I met government and military officials, students, activists, intellectuals and civilians to see what different strata of Japanese society think about a range of issues, but we always circled back to a singular concern: How can Japan protect itself while upholding its pacifist ideals especially in light of increasing provocations from North Korea?

Yahoo News journalist Michael Walsh took the bullet train from Tokyo to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He flew back to Tokyo for a few more days of reporting before returning to the United States.

I visited the only cities to suffer atom bomb attacks, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the city that experienced the deadliest conventional bombing raid in history, Tokyo. What I heard revealed a country divided among realists, idealists and every shade in between.

“I’m nervous about North Korea very much and think they might attack Japan,” a young mother told me while browsing in Shinbashi Station market. “There is nothing Abe can do to stop this. Because they have nuclear weapons, I think we need to be prepared.”

Part I – Security

Article 9

After World War II, Japan adopted a constitution with a clause that outlaws war as a means of settling disputes: Article 9, which states, “the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.”

In 2014, the Japanese government approved a controversial reinterpretation of Article 9that allows the SDF to fight overseas to defend allies, such as the United States, from attacks. The Japanese military hadn’t been able to fight abroad since World War II ended. This reinterpretation, the most drastic policy change in the SDF’S history, was made official by the National Diet, Japan’s legislature, in 2015 and it took effect in March 2016.

Yoshimitsu Morihiro, a deputy director at the Bureau of Defense Policy, said the law is limited to situations that ultimately threaten Japan’s security, and that the constitution still restricts the SDF from going overseas for combat missions and provides clear conditions for what constitutes peacekeeping.

“A key change introduced under new legislation is we can do partial, collective self-defense. It is really limited to a response to an attack against a foreign country that results in threatening Japan’s survival,” Morihiro said. “It would need to be a country that has a really close relationship with Japan and some kind of commitment to Japan’s defense. Simply, in the current situation, the best candidate is the United States.”

Abe still wants to change Article 9 so Japan can take a more active role in securing peace and stability but has not yet provided a complete draft for the revision — and the Japanese public is split. A poll from the Mainichi Shimbun, a major newspaper in Japan, was almost evenly split among those who support revising Article 9, those opposed and those who aren’t sure.

Internationalism vs. isolationism

Narushige Michi****a, the director of the Security and International Studies Program at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies in Tokyo, said that Japan purports to be a pacifist country and that people believe it, but that Japan has supported most of the wars the U.S. has fought since World War II. In fact, Japan contributed $13 billion to the war effort during the Gulf War in 1991 — it just doesn’t send its own troops to fight.

“Pacifists don’t support wars or finance wars. We do all the time. When we say, ‘We are pacifists’ what we really mean is ‘We are isolationists,’” Michi****a said. “Some people say we’re moving away from pacifism toward militarism, but that’s not true. We are moving from isolationism to internationalism.”

Masami Zkeda, 36, lives in Kanagawa Prefecture with her family and took her toddler son to a book market at Shinbashi Station in Tokyo on Nov. 6, 2017. “I’m not sure if Trump is qualified to be president. He’s not from politics, so even from a Japanese perspective, I’m not sure he’s doing a presidential job. I don’t think he would be able to stop North Korea from having nuclear weapons,” Zkeda said. (Photo: Michael Walsh/Yahoo News)

Michi****a said most Japanese have been pleased to have the U.S. protect their nation rather than send their own men and women into harm’s way. But he sees the U.S. becoming gradually more isolationist. Former U.S. President Barack Obama said the U.S. will no longer be the world’s policeman and Trump’s inclination toward isolationism is well known. Meanwhile, instability in East Asia only appears to confirm Abe’s belief that Japan needs to contribute more to regional security.

Abe singled out North Korea as an imminent threat during a speech to the United Nations General Assembly on Sept. 21.

Missiles

At Japan’s Ministry of Defense headquarters in Tokyo’s Shinjuku ward I met with several other deputy directors at the Bureau of Defense Policy to learn about the defense systems they have in place to stop potential attacks.

Ryusuke Wakahoi, of the Strategic Intelligence Analysis Office for the Defense Intelligence Division, said the range of North Korea’s ballistic missiles is growing, and a new version, the Hwasong-14, which was launched twice in July, has a range of at least 5,500 kilometers. North Korean missiles can be hard to detect when they’re in place (that is, before launch), he said, because many are fired from a movable launch pad called a TEL (transporter-erector-launcher) or from submarines.

Since 2006, North Korea has conducted six nuclear tests. The most recent, in September 2017, released 160 kilotons of energy — the largest yet, ten times the power of the Hiroshima bomb. Wakahoi said it’s possible that North Korea has already been able to miniaturize nuclear weapons to mount them on missiles.

A subway advertisement for a weekly magazine features Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, his wife, Akie Abe, U.S. President Trump, first lady Melania Trump and first daughter Ivanka Trump. The ad claims the American, Chinese and Korean media are laughing at the excessive hospitality Abe showed the Trump family. (Photo: Michael Walsh/Yahoo News)

“We tried to have dialogue with North Korea but we failed to stop them from developing nuclear weapons,” Wakahoi said. “By offering time for dialogue we actually ended up giving time to them for developing nuclear weapons. And it’s highly unlikely we could change their mindset by having dialogue.”

Yosuke Nagata, of the Strategic Planning Division, said Japan’s ballistic missile defense (BMD) system uses installations on board destroyers to target long-range missiles and relies on land bases to protect against medium- or short-range missiles. He said Japan is working with the U.S. military to develop more advanced missiles and related technology to keep up with North Korea.

SM-3 missiles fired from Aegis destroyers are designed to stop ballistic missiles midcourse and Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missiles are intended for the final stages of flight at lower altitudes.

“We developed BMD ships to defend Japanese territory and BMD architecture based on cooperation with the United States. We always need assistance from the United States,” Nagata said. “But it is very important to defend Japanese territory using Japanese capability.”

Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty

Japan perplexed onlookers when it abstained from voting on the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (also called the Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty), which bans the development, possession, transfer, use or threat of use of nuclear weapons, at the United Nations on July 7, 2017. In a historic vote, 122 nations adopted the resolution, and the 50 nations required for ratification signed the treaty on Sept. 20, 2017. This is the most significant international agreement on nuclear weapons since the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty was adopted in 1968, although nations that already possess nuclear weapons, including the United States, do not consider themselves bound by it.

International and domestic supporters of the treaty criticized Japan’s decision to side with nuclear states but it wasn’t particularly surprising. Japan had voted against a 2016 resolution to negotiate the treaty ban in the first place and explained why it couldn’t support the treaty in
a March 2017 statement: the treaty would not resolve security issues or lead to the elimination of a single warhead.

More here

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2017 10:49:32 AM

Russian diplomat warns 'apocalyptic scenario' on Korean Peninsula possible

November 27, 8:09UTC+3

Moscow slams the US military drills in the region

© Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP

SEOUL, November 27. /TASS/. An apocalyptic scenario of developments on the Korean Peninsula is possible, but Russia hopes that a common sense would prevail among the involved parties, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Igor Morgulov said on Monday.

"A scenario of the apocalyptic development of the situation on the Korean Peninsula exists and we cannot turn our blind eye to it," Morgulov said speaking at the opening of the eighth annual Asian Conference of the Valdai discussion club in Seoul.

"I hope that a common sense, pragmatism and an instinct of self-preservation would prevail among our partners to exclude such negative scenario," the Russian diplomat said.

Tensions on the Korean Peninsula remain high as North Korea actively develops its nuclear and missile programs, while the US and its allies in the region carry out their military maneuvers. On September 3, Pyongyang announced a successful hydrogen bomb test. The UN Security Council stepped up sanctions against North Korea.

"We have told North Korea many times that for us [its] nuclear status is unacceptable," the diplomat said. "We continue this work with the North Korean counterparts presenting to them our position."

Moscow is actively working with Pyongyang to ensure North Korea’s unilateral moratorium on missile and nuclear tests continue as long as possible, he said. "We greatly value that North Korea preserves the regime of silence for two month already and Russia actively works to make sure that the current regime continues as long as possible," Morgulov said.

Moscow negatively assess joint military drills of the United States with its allies in the region of the Korean Peninsula, while North Korea keeps a two-month pause in missile and nuclear tests, he went on.

"Considering the two-month long period of silence, the United States is not planning to reduce the scale of its regular military exercises, but also plan holding sudden drills as well," Morgulov said. "Unfortunately, this is the answer, which North Korea gets in response to its two-month silence," the Russian diplomat said adding that Moscow "assesses it negatively." "I believe that both the North Korean nuclear tests and joint military drills of the United States with its allies are definitely of a negative nature," Morgulov said.

"Russia has presented the roadmap’s contents both to the U.S. and to the DPRK," the diplomat said. "I would like to say that "at the very entrance" the plan has not been rejected either by Washington or by Pyongyang, though still no answer."

"Besides, we have spoken for discussing certain elements of this plan separately with the U.S. and with North Korea," he continued. "We have begun the work, but I have to say regretfully that the actions, which Washington undertook in October-November, I mean the unplanned drills, affect greatly our dialogue on settlement on the basis of the roadmap."

"Is it possible for someone to cherish illusions that threats from US President Donald Trump to strike with ‘fire and fury’ will be able to cut the knot, which has been tight on the Korean Peninsula for many decades?" Morgulov said. "I believe it would be naive to hope that any of the sides would give in to the pressure," the Russian diplomat said.

"We must understand that the pressure borders with the deliberate push of North Korea to the humanitarian catastrophe," Morgulov said. "This will not result in the North Korean authorities giving up missile and nuclear programs, but on the contrary, will only strengthen its intentions to stay until the very end."

"I believe that the path of pressure has no perspectives and there is no other alternative to the dialogue," the Russian diplomat said.

"The resumption of inter-Korean dialogue could have a positive effect (on the conflict settlement)," Morgulov said. "These two countries have issues to discuss and I know that our South Korean partners are ready for such dialogue and repeatedly expressed interest in its initiation," the Russian diplomat said.

"If Pyeongyang’s demonstrated restraint over the past two months was met with similar reciprocal steps on behalf of the United States and its allies then we could have moved to the start of direct talks between the United States and North Korea," Morgulov said.

"Will it be possible? I am absolutely sure that it is possible," the Russian diplomat said. "The key agenda of such talks can be very simple, which is the principles of peaceful coexistence. I believe that the lack of such concord gives roots to hostility and mutual mistrust among the involved parties."

"The United States and its allies should at least reduce the scale of their regular military exercises they are holding in the region of the Korean Peninsula," Morgulov said.

(TASS)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2017 4:18:50 PM

BRIEFLY

Stuff that matters

FALSE ADVERTISING

The Keystone pipeline has leaked way more often than TransCanada said it would.

A report from Reuters found that the conduit has spilled more oil, more often, than the company’s official risk assessments initially indicated.

Keystone has sprung three major leaks since it began operating seven years ago, including a 210,000-gallon spill this month. Two of the leaks happened in South Dakota, where TransCanada estimated the line would spill “no more than once every 41 years.” Over the entire pipeline, the company had predicted that a 2,100-gallon leak would not occur “more than once every seven to 11 years.”

The pipeline resumed operations on Tuesday after TransCanada shut down a section for cleanup after the Nov. 16 leak. If a South Dakota commission probing the recent spill finds that the company violated requirements for pipeline inspection and other environmental safeguards, it could revoke TransCanada’s permit to operate in the state.

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for TransCanada. A Nebraska commission approved a route for the northern leg of the Trump-revived Keystone XL project last week — but it wasn’t the one TransCanada wanted. And the alternate course could welcome new lawsuits and land negotiations that may take years to resolve.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!