Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
1/26/2017 10:22:29 AM
HEAD OF KNIGHTS OF MALTA ORDER RESIGNS AFTER VATICAN CONDOM ROW

The head of the Knights of Malta order has resigned after a row with the Vatican over free condoms.

Pope Francis asked Grand Master Matthew Festing to step down from his position at a meeting on Tuesday, Marianna Balfour, a spokeswoman for the ancientCatholic institution, confirmed to Reuters on Wednesday.

Founded in 1048, the Sovereign Order of Malta is one of the most ancient religious Catholic orders. Grand Masters of the charitable organization usually keep their positions for life.

Festing’s resignation follows a dispute which arose when he sacked one of one of the order’s top knights, Grand Chancellor Albrecht Freiherr von Boeselager, in December 2016, apparently because he allowed the distribution of tens of thousands of condoms through aid projects for poor people in the developing world.

Von Boeselager argued the sacking was illegitimate and appealed to the pope. He claimed he had ended two such projects when he found out condoms were being distributed and let a third project carry on for some time as otherwise all medical services for those in need would have been abruptly cut off.

Von Boeselager has claimed Festing used the condom issue as a pretext to increase the order’s power and assert his own conservative views, according to Reuters.The pope ordered an inquiry into the sacking, but Festing refused to cooperate, arguing the Knights have the status of a sovereign entity.

Historically, the Catholic Church has opposed contraceptives such as condoms. But in the last five years the Church has seen a shift, starting with Pope Benedict XVI’s 2010 declaration that condom use is acceptable “in certain cases.”

Pope Francis’ liberal views, particularly around abortions, have been well documented in recent years.

(Newsweek)

(See also here)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2017 10:55:19 AM

Mexico's President Says 'I Regret and Reject' Plan for Border Wall

Jan 26, 2017, 12:22 AM ET

WATCH President Trump Signs Executive Order on Wall, Toughens Immigration

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto spoke out Wednesday night against President Donald Trump's plan to build a border wall, saying he rejects the move.

"I regret and reject the decision of the United States to continue building a wall that, that for years, far from uniting us, divides us," Pena Nieto said in a taped message.

"Mexico does not believe in walls."

One of the two executive orders Trump signed today lays the groundwork for a border wall and Trump told ABC News' David Muir construction could start in "months."

In the taped message, Nieto reiterated his stance that Mexico "will not pay for any wall" and said he's ordered the Foreign Affairs ministry to "reinforce protection measures for our nationals."

"The 50 Mexican consulates in the United States will convert into authentic advocates for the rights of migrants."

He did not address reports that he may be canceling next week's visit to Washington, D.C. But Mexican Foreign Affairs Secretary Luis Videgaray Caso said in an interview Wednesday night with Mexico's Televisa that Nieto's Jan. 31 visit is still confirmed.

(abcNEWS)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2017 1:58:15 PM

President Trump Tells ABC News’ David Muir He 'Absolutely' Thinks Waterboarding Works

Jan 25, 2017, 4:26 PM ET

WATCH President Trump Stands by Campaign Promise to Bring Back Torture

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, President Donald Trump said he "absolutely" thinkswaterboarding works and would consider reinstating it as an interrogation technique, depending on the advice of Defense Secretary James Mattis and CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

"I will rely on Pompeo and Mattis and my group. And if they don't want to do, that's fine. If they do wanna do, then I will work toward that end. I want to do everything within the bounds of what you're allowed to do legally," Trump exclusively told "World News Tonight" anchor David Muirduring an interview at the White House. "But do I feel it works? Absolutely, I feel it works."

Trump explained it's important to reconsider the use of waterboarding as an interrogation technique because, he said, "we're not playing on an even field."

"When they're chopping off the heads of our people and other people. When they're chopping off the heads of people because they happen to be a Christian in the Middle East, when ISIS is doing things that nobody has ever heard of since medieval times, would I feel strongly about waterboarding? As far as I'm concerned, we have to fight fire with fire," he said.

"I'm going to go with what they say," Trump said of Mattis and Pompeo. "But I have spoken as recently as 24 hours ago with people at the highest level of intelligence, and I asked them the question 'Does it work? Does torture work?' And the answer was 'Yes, absolutely.'"

During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump vowed to bring back the use of waterboarding and other enhanced interrogation techniques.

"Not since medieval times have people seen what's going on. I would bring back waterboarding, and I'd bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding," Trump told Muir during the New Hampshire Republican primary debate, co-sponsored by ABC News, in February 2016.

But Trump's position on the use of waterboarding seems to differ from some of his Cabinet picks'. In an interview with The New York Times last year, Trump said he was "impressed" by a recommendation from Mattis, who at the time was under consideration for defense secretary.

"I said, what do you think of waterboarding? He said — I was surprised — he said, 'I've never found it to be useful.' He said, 'I've always found, give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers, and I do better with that than I do with torture.' And I was very impressed by that answer. I was surprised, because he's known as being, like, the toughest guy," Trump told the Times.

During his confirmation hearing to become CIA director, Pompeo was asked whether he would comply if Trump issued a presidential order calling for the reinstatement of enhanced interrogation techniques that fall outside the Army Field Manual.

"Absolutely not. Moreover, I can't imagine I would be asked that by the president-elect," Pompeo said. "There is no doubt in my mind about the limitations placed not only on the DOD but on the intelligence agency, and I'll always comply with the law."

Trump's comments today come amid reports of an administration draft order indicating that he is considering a review of terrorism interrogations and the potential reopening of CIA black site prisons outside the U.S.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters Wednesday that the draft order was "not a White House document" but would not provide further comment.

(abcNEWS)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2017 2:20:01 PM

Michigan man whose sentence was commuted by Obama killed: media

Reuters

Michigan State Police Detective Troopers, from left, Joe McMillan, Don Pisha and Bryant Greenert measure tire tracks on Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017, near the scene of the shooting of Demarlon Thomas, 31, in Saginaw the previous evening. (Jeff Schrier/The Saginaw News via AP)

(Reuters) - A Michigan man whose drug-related prison sentence was commuted by former President Barack Obama was shot dead this week at a federal halfway house, according to local media reports.

Demarlon Thomas, 31, was shot and killed on Monday night by a man with an assault-style rifle in Saginaw, Michigan, around 100 miles (160 km) northwest of Detroit, according to local CBS affiliate WNEM.

A spokesman for the Michigan State Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters.

Two masked men with assault-style rifles entered the facility where around two dozen people were staying, Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser told local news website MLive.com.

"One person watched over a group of them while another subject located the victim and executed him," Kaiser said, according to the website. "They were looking for this person."

No one else was injured in the attack, Kaiser said.

Thomas was sentenced to 19 years in prison in 2008 for distribution of cocaine after being caught in a three-year federal investigation called "Operation Sunset," aimed at taking down Saginaw's Sunny Side Gang, the website reported.

His sentence commuted by Obama in November as part of a larger commutation of 79 sentences, MLive.com said. His sentence was set to be completed in late March.

Stymied by Congress in efforts to pass comprehensive criminal justice reform, Obama focused on reducing the sentences of drug offenders who would have served less time if convicted under current laws.

A day before leaving office, Obama commuted the prison sentences of 330 federal inmates, particularly drug offenders.

The commutations were the most ever performed in a single day, the White House said, and brought the total number of sentences reduced by Obama to 1,715.

Obama granted more commutations than any other president in U.S. history and, the White House said, surpassing the number granted by the past 13 presidents combined.

(Reporting by Timothy Mclaughlin in Chicago, editing by G Crosse)

(Yahoo News)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/26/2017 3:55:12 PM

Report: Trump Freezes Obama's $221 Million Payout to the Palestinians

BY DEBRA HEINE JANUARY 25, 2017

That $221 million transfer to the Palestinian Authority former Secretary of State John Kerry snuck through hours before Donald Trump took the oath of office may not be happening anytime soon, The Times of Israel reports.

A senior Palestinian source told the Times that the Trump administration informed PA Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah that it is freezing the transfer of the $221 million payout and that the funds "were not expected to be handed over in the immediate future."

On Tuesday, the State Department said it was reviewing the last-minute decision by former secretary of state John Kerry to send the funds to the Palestinians despite objections to the transfer by congressional Republicans.

The department said it would look at the payment and might make adjustments to ensure it comports with the Trump administration’s priorities.

The Obama administration had for some time been pressing for the release of the money for the Palestinian Authority, which comes from the US Agency for International Development, known as USAID, and is to be used for humanitarian aid in the West Bank and Gaza to support political and security reforms, as well as help prepare for good governance and the rule of law in a future Palestinian state, according to the notification sent to Congress.

Even without the $221 million, the Palestinian source noted that in 2016 the PA received $250 million from the US government.

These funds included $180 million from USAID, $25 million to support Palestinian hospitals and $45 million to pay for fuel purchased from Israel.

Republicans on the House Foreign Affairs Committee had placed holds on the Palestinian funding, which the Obama administration disregarded on its way out the door.

President Trump has had a very productive first few days in office. As Scott McKay of The American Spectator noted, while the "ink-stained curs" of the MSM were fixated on his inauguration crowd size and illegal voting, Trump was inside dismantling Obama's entire legacy.

Federal agencies must now “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay” any portions of Obamacare creating financial burden on states, individuals or healthcare providers — which essentially guts Obama’s signature legislative achievement.

The Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines will now be built.

The federal government will no longer fund abortions performed in foreign countries.

America is withdrawing from the controversial Trans-Pacific Partnership treaty.

U.S. airstrikes severely wounded ISIS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi and turned several of his advisers into scrambled egg while trapping ISIS forces on what is for them the wrong side of the Euphrates River in Mosul, in a rapid escalation of the fight against the jihadist network.

Ajit Pai, the foremost critic of Net Neutrality at the FCC, is its new chairman, meaning the free market now has a friendly majority in that body again.

Trump froze all federal government hiring “except for the military.”

Trump essentially shut down the EPA pending Scott Pruitt’s confirmation. He also muzzled the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

There is no longer any content in Spanish on the White House’s website.

The Centers For Disease Control’s planned Climate and Health Summit will not be happening.

And now we can add freezing Obama's $221 million payout to the Palestinian Authority to the list.

(pjmedia.com)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!