Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
10/23/2014 10:44:08 PM

US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil sales

Associated Press

Militants hang the Islamic State flag at a fort on the Syrian-Iraqi border in June, 2014. Two men have been charged in Australia with sending fighters to Syria (AFP Photo/)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Islamic State militants are amassing wealth at an unprecedented pace, earning about $1 million a day from black market oil sales alone, a U.S. Treasury Department official said Thursday.

David Cohen, who leads the department's effort to undermine the Islamic State's finances, said the extremists also get several million dollars a month from wealthy donors, extortion rackets and other criminal activities, such as robbing banks. In addition, he said the group has taken in at least $20 million in ransom payments this year from kidnappings.

"With the important exception of some state-sponsored terrorist organizations, IS is probably the best-funded terrorist organization we have confronted," Cohen, undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said in a speech at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington. "It has amassed wealth at an unprecedented pace."

The group, which extracts oil from territory it has captured across Syria and Iraq, wants to create a caliphate, or Islamic empire, in the Middle East. Led by Iraqi militant Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the Islamic State initially tried to oust Syrian President Bashar Assad, but other groups, including al-Qaida central command, turned against IS because of its brutality.

Unlike the core al-Qaida terrorist network, IS gets only a small share of funding from deep-pocket donors and therefore does not depend primarily on moving money across international borders. Instead, the Islamic State group obtains the vast majority of its revenues through local criminal and terrorist activities, Cohen said, acknowledging that Treasury's tool are not particularly well-suited to combating extortion and local crime.

"They rob banks. They lay waste to thousands of years of civilization in Iraq and Syria by looting and selling antiquities," he said. "They steal livestock and crops from farmers. And despicably, they sell abducted girls and women as sex slaves."

In the Iraqi city of Mosul, Islamic State terrorists are reportedly going door-to-door, business-to-business, demanding cash at gunpoint, he said.

"A grocery store owner who refused to pay was warned with a bomb outside his shop. Others, who have not paid, have seen their relatives kidnapped. ... We've also seen reports that when customers make cash withdrawals from local banks where ISIL operates, ISIL has demanded as much as 10 percent of the value." Cohen said, using an acronym for the group.

Most of the group's money, however, comes from extracting oil and selling it to smugglers, who, in turn, transport the oil outside territory under Islamic State control.

"It is difficult to get precise revenue estimates ... but we estimate that beginning in mid-June, ISIL has earned approximately $1 million a day from oil sales," Cohen said. Other estimates have ranged as high as $3 million a day.

Treasury said IS is selling oil at substantially discounted prices to a variety of middlemen, including some from Turkey, who then transport the oil to be resold. "It also appears that some of the oil emanating from territory where ISIL operates has been sold to Kurds in Iraq, and then resold into Turkey," he said.

Cohen said the Syrian government also has allegedly arranged to buy oil from IS.

He noted that U.S-led airstrikes on the group's oil refineries are threatening the militants' supply networks and that Turkey and the Kurdistan Regional Government — the official ruling body of the predominantly Kurdish region of northern Iraq —are working to prevent IS oil from crossing their borders.

Cohen acknowledged, however, that IS moves oil in illicit networks outside the formal economy, making it harder to track.

"But at some point, that oil is acquired by someone who operates in the legitimate economy and who makes use of the financial system. He has a bank account. His business may be financed, his trucks may be insured, his facilities may be licensed," he said.

"We not only can cut them off from the U.S. financial system and freeze their assets, but we can also make it very difficult for them to find a bank anywhere that will touch their money or process their transactions."

Treasury also is going after individuals who donate money to IS and is urging officials in Qatar and Kuwait to do more to target terror financiers in their countries. A key, he said, is to restrict the militant group's access to the international financial system.

The growing wealth of Islamic State

Earning up to $1M per day, the militant group is close to the richest terror organization the U.S. has ever seen.
Black-market oil sales

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/23/2014 11:23:14 PM

US-led strikes kill more than 500 militants in Syria

AFP

Islamic State (IS) militants during an air strike on a hill at Yumurtalik village near the Syria-Turkey border on October 23, 2014 (AFP Photo/Bulent Kilic)

Mursitpinar (Turkey) (AFP) - US-led air strikes in Syria were reported Thursday to have killed more than 500 jihadists in a month, as Kurdish fighters readied to reinforce the embattled border town of Kobane.

The battle for Kobane has become crucial for both the Islamic State (IS) group and its opponents, with a senior US official saying the Kurds there were inflicting heavy losses on the jihadists.

IS, which declared in June a "caliphate" over territory it seized in Iraq and Syria, was described Thursday as the world's wealthiest "terror" group, earning $1 million a day from black market oil sales alone.

The Kurds in Kobane have been holding out against it for more than a month, buoyed by a promise of Iraqi Kurd reinforcements and by US air drops of weapons.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Thursday that 200 Iraqi Kurd peshmerga fighters would travel across his country to join the battle in Kobane, where IS has an estimated 1,000 militants.

The US and its Arab allies have also been stepping up air strikes against IS in Syria.

On Thursday evening an AFP photographer across the frontier captured on film the moment another one apparently hit an IS position atop a hill west of Kobane.

A huge fireball dwarfed the few militiamen who had been seen manning the post under the jihadist group's black flag.

The month-old aerial campaign has killed 553 people, all but 32 of them jihadists mostly drawn from overseas, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The jihadist toll included 464 IS militants and 57 fighters from the Al-Qaeda affiliated Al-Nusra Front, said the Britain-based Observatory, which relies on a wide network of sources inside Syria.

- 'World's richest terrorists' -

After first focussing on Iraq, the American-led coalition has dramatically expanded its strikes in Syria recently, including in Kobane.

US Central Command said in its latest update that fresh raids near the town destroyed IS fighting positions, a vehicle and a command and control centre.

In Iraq, IS targets hit included fighting positions, a vehicle and a training centre.

David Cohen, the US Treasury undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said Thursday that IS's "primary funding tactics enable it today to generate tens of millions of dollars per month".

Oil has also been sold to Kurds in Iraq, and then resold to Turkey, as IS has "tapped into a long-standing and deeply rooted black market connecting traders in and around the area," said Cohen.

Even Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime has got in on the act and "made an arrangement to purchase oil" from the jihadist group, he said.

Marwan Muasher of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace said IS was now "considered the world's wealthiest and most financially sophisticated terrorist organisation".

On the ground, the jihadists made fresh advances in and around Kobane, said the Observatory.

IS had also taken control of a string of villages west of Kobane, after days of trading territory with the Kurds with neither side gaining a decisive edge.

Kurds say their fighters are exhausted and anxious for promised reinforcements from Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region.

Lawmakers there agreed Wednesday to send their peshmerga fighters, after Turkey said it would allow them to travel through its territory to Kobane.

One Iraqi Kurdish official said the fighters "will remain there until they are no longer needed".

- Mount Sinjar besieged -

In Iraq, IS fighters killed a Yazidi commander after surrounding Mount Sinjar in the country's north, where they had trapped thousands of civilians this summer.

The civilians, mostly members of the Yazidi religious minority, eventually escaped via Syria with the help of Kurdish fighters from Iraq's neighbour to the west, but that route has now been cut.

"The mountain is besieged" again, and IS militants are "trying to climb the mountain on foot to fight the Yazidi volunteers," Dawud Jundi, another commander of the forces defending the area, told AFP by telephone.

The IS assault began Monday, when some 300 of the militants seized nearby villages and then turned their sights on the mountain itself.

"We don't have anything but light weapons," Jundi said, adding that on Mount Sinjar "there are almost 2,000 families whose situations are very bad".

The first siege of Mount Sinjar was a key moment in the conflict with IS, with the plight of the people trapped on the mountain helping to prompt Washington to begin air strikes against the jihadists.

The Iraqi capital Baghdad has also seen a wave of bomb attacks against Shiite targets in recent days, with IS claiming responsibility for some.

On Thursday IS jihadists gained more ground west of Baghdad, further reducing the government's shaky hold on Anbar province, a day after car bombs in the capital killed at least 28 people.

The battle for Kobani has become crucial for both the Islamic State and Kurdish fighters.
Reinforcements sent in

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2014 12:23:15 AM

Pat Robertson calls gay rights activists 'terrorists'

Dylan Stableford
Yahoo News

A day after his controversial comments about AIDS were obliterated by Anderson Cooper, televangelist Pat Robertson called gay rights activists “terrorists."

On his Christian Broadcasting Network show on Wednesday, Robertson blasted Houston Mayor Annise Parker, who is gay, for issuing subpoenas to five prominent pastors who had opposed a new anti-discrimination law.

“These people are terrorists, they're radicals, and they're extremists,” Robertson told "700 Club" viewers. “No Christian in his right mind would ever try to enforce somebody against their belief or else suffer jail. Now they did that during the Inquisition. It was horrible. It was a black mark on our history, but it isn't being done now. There's no Christian group I know of anywhere in the world that would force somebody to do something contrary to their deep-held religious beliefs or else face criminal penalties, but that's what the homosexuals are trying to do here in America and I think it's time pastors stand up and fight this monstrous thing."

Last week, the American Civil Liberties Union slammed the subpoenas, saying they violated the pastors' civil rights.

"The government should never engage in fishing expeditions into the inner workings of a church," the ACLU said in a statement. "And any request for information must be carefully tailored to seek only what is relevant to the dispute.”

In response, Parker said the city would clarify the subpoenas, admitting they were “too broad.”

"If the gays want to go out and do their gay sex, that’s one thing," Robertson continued. "But if they want to force you to accept it and solemnify it by marriage, then that’s a different matter and it’s an infringement on people’s religious belief. What’s being done in Houston is a gay — the woman they elected is a homosexual, she’s a lesbian, and she’s trying to force pastors to conform to her beliefs. It’s wrong."

Earlier this month, Robertson was asked by a "700 Club" viewer if he should be concerned about traveling to Kenya in light of the Ebola outbreak. The 84-year-old televangelist replied that there was no need to worry about Ebola in Kenya. But he added: "You have to be careful about AIDS. The towels could have AIDS."

On Tuesday, Cooper dedicated his "Ridiculist" segment to respond to Robertson.

"If, Pat Robertson, you somehow missed all the research and the depth and information, you cannot get HIV if you share towels," the CNN host said.

Cooper mocked Robertson's advice, telling American travelers to remain in the United States. "Except steer clear of San Francisco [because] that is, of course, where all the gay people live, and Pat Robertson thinks they have a way of giving you 'the stuff.'"

(Watch video)

Televangelist calls gay rights activists 'terrorists'

Pat Robertson says no Christian would ever try to force others to do something against their beliefs.

Blasts gay mayor

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2014 12:51:23 AM
“These people are terrorists, they're radicals, and they're extremists,”
Sounds like the same accusations that were made against Jesus and his followers.
It amazes me that people still support this man and his ilk.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2014 1:03:21 AM

Teen killed in New Orleans believed in the power of food justice and gardens

By
22 Oct 2014 7:12 PM

I met George Carter when he was 10 years old, at a banquet where his organization,Kids Rethink New Orleans Schools*, was receiving an award. The “Rethinkers” are young people who came together in 2006, after Hurricane Katrina, to ensure that students’ voices would be heard in the rebuilding of public schools. George joined when he was just 8 years old, following his older sisters and brothers who were leading the Rethink cause. He was the youngest of the group, and hence was dubbed a “Pre-Thinker.”

His thoughts helped mold the organization, which took on school administrations by demanding healthier foods for school lunches and safer learning environments. He loved gardens. He believed they could be a calming presence for young students, especially those recovering from the most traumatic storm disaster the U.S. has known. His thought seeds grew into the kind of ideas and projects that helped earn Rethink an award that night on Oct. 25, 2009.

After the banquet, he posed with his friends holding the plaque and then pranced around the room gathering roses from each table’s centerpiece arrangement. He told me that he was going to be a biologist when he grew up. He decorated himself with the roses and asked me to take pictures of him.

1915342_1238206749058_6484482_n 1459911_10204025953782919_350564644819427187_n 1915342_1238215629280_445087_n

Today, there’s another picture of him I can’t get out of my head, though. It shows George’s body lying on the ground, partially obscured by a cop car. Police around him are scribbling notes.

George was found dead from gunshot wounds yesterday morning. He was 15. His killing was added to an obscene murder count in New Orleans that I find no value in enumerating here. Suffice to say that it is high. Another black life was ended before it could reach its potential.

I’m not writing about George to say he was some exceptional young man. Hundreds of black teenagers and young adults have been killed in New Orleans over the years, and all of their lives matter, whether they were drug dealers or burgeoning biologists. Two women were found dead in New Orleans within 24 hours of George’s death, and I’m as saddened by their killings as I am of George’s. Many people were shot and killed in the four years I lived there, some of whom I knew personally, but all of them equally heart-breaking.

But I want to tell you about George, because his ideas about the transformative energy of gardens needs to live on.

This is George sharing his garden theory, when he was just in fourth grade:

To me I think all schools should have gardens because you can use the plants, and plants give you oxygen. I like to go out in the garden because it calms me down. … If you just had a fight, you can just go in the garden, calm down, eat some strawberries, and you’ll feel safe because you’ll be around nature. And nature, it won’t hurt you.

“This insight was one of the first that connected the idea of school gardens and fresh food to school to the prevention of school violence,” said Jane Wholey, one of Rethink’s founders.

While supplying school students with fresh fruit sounds like common sense, it wasn’t the practice in New Orleans schools (nor in many other schools across America). One of the primary ways that George and the Rethinkers thought they could reform schools was to convince them to provide healthier lunch options. So they did their own study. In 2010, the Rethinkers — aged 10 to 17 — visited various schools across the city, surveying students about their feelings about their school lunches. To little surprise, they found that most kids found their lunch disgusting.

Next step: The Rethinkers stepped to Aramark, the company contracted to provide food for the schools’ lunch programs. George was part of a round of negotiations that led to Aramark agreeing to purchase locally grown fruits, vegetables, meat, and fish for school lunches. No more of the canned, processed stuff. Aramark signed and sealed this contract in 2011, during a press conference organized and coordinated by the Rethinkers themselves. It was hosted at the Hollygrove Farmers Market, and for their guests — a packed room — they served strawberries.

This was all captured in the HBO documentary, The Great Cafeteria Takeover, which is part of its “The Weight of the Nation” series on obesity.

The kids’ logic, as expressed by Rethinker Ashley Triggs in the film: “When people don’t eat, they act out. When they act out, they get in trouble. When they get in trouble, they get suspended, so they need to eat.”

Companies like Aramark had gotten away with providing cheap, processed foods to schools for so long because no one had challenged them on it. Its bottom line did not figure in kids acting out and getting suspended. This macroeconomics lesson was explained by George’s older brother Vernard Carter, another Rethink co-founder, in the doc:

People are putting money before people’s lives and thinking that as long as they have money they’re OK. That makes me wonder what is going on with the world? Why are people leaning towards more of these beliefs? Why aren’t they leaning more towards humane ideals that keeps the human population flourishing and keeps us going?

These were thoughts and values that circulated within the Carter family. They did not arrive at this academically. George’s older brother Victor and sister Victoria were recently the first in their family to go to college. And yet academics have drawn the same conclusions. A study last year from Joan Luby, a researcher from Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, found that:

The effects of poverty on hippocampal development are mediated through caregiving and stressful life events further underscores the importance of high-quality early childhood caregiving, a task that can be achieved through parenting education and support, as well as through preschool programs that provide high-quality supplementary caregiving and safe haven to vulnerable young children.

George didn’t need an empirical study to understand this, though. He was connecting these dots in elementary school. His thoughts on these matters continued to evolve.

In 2012, George sat on a panel for a conference called “Root Of It All: The State of Mental Health of New Orleans’ Youth,” which was sponsored in part by the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice. MSNBC TV news host Melissa Harris-Perry was one of the keynote speakers. When George spoke, he emphasized the stressful environment of schools in his city. Compounding that were the new mandatory standardized tests, which George and his peers found inflexible if not counterproductive to their educational pursuits.

Said George, “If I get stressed I won’t be able to do my work, if I don’t do my work, I’ll probably flunk a class or drop out of school. If I drop out of school I’ll be on the streets. If I’m on the streets I’m gonna be homeless, dead, or in prison.”

He told the conference that New Orleans schools needs support teams in the classrooms that can help with tutoring and serving the students “healthy snacks” throughout the day, because — you know, “when people don’t eat, they act out. …”

“Students and teachers should work together to make the environment healthier,” said George, his voice deeper and more confident than when I first met him at the awards banquet.

As George aged, his interests expanded from biology and gardens to architecture, law, and justice. He started an internship this year through his school with theCapital Post-Conviction Project of Louisiana, which provides legal defense for people who’ve been sentenced to death. His first day was Monday. He was killed before he could make it to his second day. As of this writing, the police have no suspects or motives. According to nola.com he was found on a “narrow street bordered by a fenced-in field on one side and overgrown trees, weeds, and vegetation on the other.”

“I’m afraid to walk down this street,” a woman told the reporter. “The streetlights don’t work, the city don’t cut this. … They could just snatch you and pull you into the bushes.”

The city could honor George’s legacy by converting those bushes into a garden, perhaps with strawberries.

George Carter’s family is accepting contributions to cover funeral expenses. Rethink is processing these donations and 100 percent of funds received will go to the family. Go here to donate.

(*My wife, Thena Robinson Mock, is the former executive director of Kids Rethink New Orleans Schools. One of our first dates was at the awards banquet where I met George.)

(Grist)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!