Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Quick and Easy Sloppy Joes
5/28/2010 3:37:21 AM
Hello Phil,

I haven't been brave enough to try ground turkey yet. I have bought turkey bacon to try, though. It does have a lot less fat than beef, but I was brought up eating chicken, pork, and beef...meat and some type of potatoes most days!

DonnaZ
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/29/2010 5:28:59 PM

Hi Donna,

Once you get used to it, it's great. Really, I think that it's as good, or better, than Ground Beef.

Just as it is with so many dishes, the secret's actually in the Seasoning. Old cookbooks use to spell out a delicious litany of fresh herbs and spices that could be used to season turkey. Sage, savory, and parsley were at the top of the list, along with a number of other familiar favorites.

For those curious cooks, like me, the seasoning in "poultry seasoning", typically is a simple combination of sage, marjoram, thyme, savory, and rosemary, along with a little crushed onion powder, salt, and black pepper.

Here's an easy homemade recipe for poultry seasoning that I use for stuffings, casseroles, stews, and other recipes.

• 3/4 teaspoon sage, crumbled
  • 1/4 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • dash marjoram
  • dash cloves, optional

Simply combine all of the ingredients, and of course, if you make extra, store in an airtight container to keep it fresh.

Have A Safe & Happy Memorial Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/31/2010 5:30:18 AM

Thanks for the recipe for the spice mixture, Phil. I have used all of them except for the dash of cloves.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!