Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE DUTCH BAROQUE - JAN VERMEER
3/6/2010 10:15:40 AM
Dear Sara,

Thank you so much for coming by. As I told Karen, you too are doubly welcome here because you are an artist yourself. Even more, as you are a poet as well and poets have a special feeling about all things, let alone art of a special category as Vermeer's painting is.

You are right, View of Delft looks like photography in that it is so beautiful and real. But beyond that, as you said, our cameras could not capture that. Cameras have no soul, and in my opinion, all of Vermeer's painting have a soul. If you notice, all his works look like they were painted by a poet - a poet with a superb artistic knowledge and ability. Vermeers's masterwork below, The Milkmaid (painted circa 1658) clearly exemplifies that.

Thanks again,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

Jan Vermeer - The Milkmaid (oil on canvas, c.1658)

P.S. I wish to apologize for the belated reply. But you know the reason, my computer has been down for a full week and I have been limited to just sending and replying to emails during this period of time.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2010 1:29:31 PM
Dear Myrna,

You are always so welcome here in this forum. And it is I who thank you for coming by and posting.

Best Wishes,

Miguel

P. S. Those yellow roses are just wonderful.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2010 2:09:18 PM
Dear Pauline,

Let me apologize first for this belated reply. This time it has been my computer that is to blame for it. But, in addition, I was looking for a special masterpiece by Vermeer that could have a special significance to you, and I hope I have found it.

While the theme of this early painting by Vermeer is certainly not what you might expect to find in his not very ample repertoire, it does show his masterly treatment of both figures and color as well as the kind of love he always put in all of his masterpieces. Also, there is that sort of beauty in the saint's face, in the devotion that she expresses with every gesture of hers, and of course in the painting considered as a whole, that you can very easily be moved to tears in viewing it.

Other than that, I very much appreciate your visiting and posting here. Please never stop supporting us.

Sincerely,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

(Click on the image to enlarge)
Jan Vermeer - Saint Praxidis (oil on canvas, 1655?)

+1
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2010 2:37:55 PM

Hello Dear Friend Luis Miguel!

THANK YOU for the Special Invitation!

and, Sorry if I am late being here My Friend!

These Paintings are simply Awesome My Friend... As mentionned by Friends previously, I love so much the light and the colors as well as all the details defining so clearly the personages... Thank You for sharing with all of us here...

You are a Wonderful Art Teacher!

I think that my favourite is...

Jan Vermeer - View of Delft (1659-60)

So much Beauty abound...

Have a Beautiful Weekend!

Hugs and Blessings,

Alain

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/7/2010 1:43:52 AM
Dear Friends,

Here are two more paintings by Vermeer that I hope you will like, A Lady Drinking and a Gentleman (c.1658), and A Lady at the Virginals with a Gentleman (1662-65). There is another painting by Vermeer of about 1659 that I am not showing here, A Lady and Two Gentlemen, very similar to the former, and yet another not shown of 1665-66, The Concert, in turn very similar to the latter.

The fact is that like in The Art of Painting that Karen showed in a previous post, as well as in other Vermeer paintings, in all of these works the floors are consistently the slab-checkered type. In my opinion, this is not only an elegant, fashionable detail but in a way, it adds weight and a sense of measure to the composition, at the same time that sort of enhances the general perspective and the beauty of the paintings themselves.

My point is, even if I am wrong in my appreciations about the importance of this kind of floors in Vermeer's works and, for that matter, in any in-door paintings with a similar theme, they certainly seem to have been most important to Vermeer, as shown by the fact that he always used them - even in his works depicting people relaxing in less elegant rooms, like the ones you would expect to see inside a not very expensive bar or restaurant.

A simple point in fact, but maybe a valid one.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

Jan Vermeer - A Lady Drinking with a Gentleman (oil on canvas, c.1658)

Jan Vermeer - A Lady at the Virginals with a Gentleman (oil on canvas, 1662-65)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!