Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE DUTCH BAROQUE - JAN VERMEER
2/28/2010 2:35:09 AM

Hi Luis Miguel,

Thanks so much for returning with this marvelous Forum, I have always adored Art & Painting , but unfortunately, I've never been well educated as to either the Artists, nor their techniques. You, my Friend have been a Blessing. Please continue.

All of Vermeer's works are beautiful, however this one, View of Delft, his detail rivals any Photograph which I have ever taken, and according to most, I'm a fair to middlin' Photographer.

Thanks Again My Friend.

Have A Blessed & Beautiful Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
2/28/2010 2:24:58 PM

Thank you Luis, these are all great paintings. I am not familiar with Vermeer or probably have taken it for granted and admired his paintings. Now I can learn and admire from this presentation. The last one which Phil posted, I have to agree, it looks like photography. The sky alone is just beautiful and so real. Don't think our cameras could capture that.

Have a blessed day,

Sara

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/28/2010 6:11:09 PM
Quote:

Thank you Luis Miguel,

Lovely art....would not have seen it except for this forum.

Dear Jo,

Thank YOU for showing up and for your kind words. As to the 'Degroot' Lath Art, I am afraid I know nothing about it but if possible, I will check it all about it this very afternoon.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Karen Gigikos

1410 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/28/2010 6:44:53 PM

Hi Luis

Yes you have . I love beautiful ART. And these are great.

karen gigikos

karen gigikos / black belt grannyHobbies
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2010 3:29:56 AM
Dear Roger,

Thank you for contributing with such stimulating feedback.

Jan Vermeer seems to have discovered first his passion for art and then his own style of painting relatively late, but his mastery of light I think was innate whether or not he had previously studied Caravaggio's works as some people believe or, rather, whether or not he had studied Jan Van Eycks' wonderful The Arnolfini Portrait... painted in 1434, over two hundred years before his own time!

I mean, you can find in this painting of 1434 virtually all the main elements that would characterize Vermeer's portraits, including the window that lets the light in the room and, while not as intense, the light contrasts themselves as well as other elements like the elegance and sumptuousness of the room, clothing, etc.

There is an element in this painting that, while not specifically found in Vermeer's works, is non-the-less most important: the beautiful circular mirror at the back of the room. In effect, it reflects the whole room including the Arnolfini couple and, mainly, the window to the left and the spark of light it produces. Incredibly, while it constitutes a central focus, it does not divert attention from the main subject, i.e. the couple - a particularity you have pointed out with regard to the details in Vermeer's own paintings. A coincidence? I can imagine Vermeer studying this feature in the Arnolfini painting in order to learn how Van Eick had made to avoid focusing the viewer's attention on it in spite of the intense light reflected.

Jan Van Eyck - Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and His Wife
(oil on oak, 1434)

Were it not for the rather hieratic positioning of the figures in it that gives the painting an older appearance, I could have sworn The Arnolfini Portrait was one of Jan Vermeer's master pieces, and not the one and only Jan Van Eyck's masterwork that does not look too medieval (with the exception of his Man with a Turban of course).

Other than that, what you say about the
Girl with a Pearl Earring's timelessness has made me realize why I selected it in spite of my avowal from the start to never feature any artist's best known works: in fact, it was what made it so irresistible to me that I finally made my mind to feature it on this forum no matter what.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!