Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
9/9/2010 11:35:29 PM

Hi Pat & Sara,

Thank you both for stopping by and I'm so glad that you liked the Recipes. Sara, I'm not sure that I would say 'Not Fattening At All", just maybe a little less fattening. Since I've been on this Diabetes diet, I've learned to look at Grams of Carbohydrates and Grams of Sugar, instead of Calories. For example, one of the Popular "100 Calorie" Packs of Snack Cakes that I was looking at the other day had a whopping 28g of Sugar in one pack. Also, I was so pleased when I discovered that an Eskimo Pie Double-Chocolate Ice Cream Bar had only 110 Calories, until I realized that it also has 24g of Sugar in ONE!

That's why I have to be so careful what I eat and when I eat it. However, for right now, speaking of eating, let me ask you, "What's for Dinner on Sunday?". How about some Roasted Turkey and a side of some yummy Sweet Potatoes. I know that you're not a fan of Crockpots Sara, but with what I have to do at Church, they are literally the only way I can cook on Sundays.

Roasted Turkey Breast Stuffed with Herbs

1 4 to 5 lb boneless turkey breast -- with skin
OR 2 1/2 lb boneless turkey breast for 3 1/2 qt cooker
1/2 cup Italian parsley -- chopped
1 tbs fresh thyme leaves OR 1 tsp dried, crumbled
1 tbs grated lemon rind
2 tart apples -- peeled, cored, chopped (2 cups)
4 medium leeks (white part & 1-inch pale green),
rinsed, sliced thinly (4 cups)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbs butter -- room temperature
2 tbs all-purpose flour

Rinse turkey breast and pat dry. Lightly pound breast and, with your fingers, separate skin from breast meat. Combine parsley, thyme, and lemon rind. Rub turkey inside and under the skin with the herb mixture; replace skin and tie in place with kitchen twine.

Arrange apples and leeks in bottom of 5-quart or larger slow cooker (for a smaller slow cooker, use a 2 to 2 1/2 pound turkey breast). Top with turkey breast, skin side up. Drizzle lemon juice over turkey breast. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until tender.

Transfer breast to a serving platter and keep warm. (Brown for 5 minutes under a preheated broiler for browned skin.) Let turkey breast stand for 10 minutes before carving.

Turn setting to high. Whisk broth and wine into the juices in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the butter and flour. Whisk into the slow cooker and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Cook and stir for another minute. Pour sauce into a serving dish and spoon over breast slices. Serves 8.

Also, if you use the large Crockpot for the Turkey, that will leave your smaller Crockpot available to make some of these heavenly Sweet Potatoes, to perfectly compliment your meal.

Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes

3 large or 4 medium sweet potatoes (Called yams in most U.S. stores)
2 T olive oil
non-stick spray for crockpot
2 tsp. sweet potato spice mix (see below)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
sea salt to taste (I used a sea salt grinder)

Sweet Potato Spice Mix (grind herbs together in a spice grinder, then mix in salt)

2 T ground coriander
1 T ground fennel
1 T dried oregano
1 T Aleppo Pepper (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper)
2 T kosher salt

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into pieces about 1 inch square. Put sweet potatoes into plastic Ziploc bag, add 2 T olive oil and 2 tsp. spice mix, seal bag and squeeze potatoes around until they're all coated with oil and spice mix is well-distributed.

Spray inside of Crockpot slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I use a 3.5 quart crock pot for this recipe.) Put sweet potatoes in crockpot and cook on high, stirring a couple of times so they don't stick or get too browned on the bottom.

Sweet potatoes are done when they're completely softened and fragrant, about 3 hours. Mash slightly if desired, and season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt. Serve hot.
Make Ahead Tips: Your Sweet Potatoes can be cut and mixed with olive oil and seasoning earlier in the day. Cooked sweet potatoes can also be kept in the crockpot on low or warm for a few hours if needed.

Have A Restful & Blessed Patiots Day Weekend,
Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2010 7:38:55 PM

Hello My Friends,

OK, I confess. I love a good slow cooker recipe They are fast and easy, and taste delicious! And this low calorie Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe is truly one of the yummiest low calorie crock pot recipes I’ve tried. It’s zesty and tangy and full of fabulous garlicky flavor! And the best part, is that it’s so low in fat and calories. Try serving this dish with a side of roasted veggies for a real Treat!

Lemon Garlic Chicken Crock Pot

Ingredients:

- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest

Directions:

Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Mix together the lemon pepper seasoning, paprika and salt. Coat the chicken with the spice mixture. Place the coated chicken in the crock pot and cover with the fat free chicken broth, garlic cloves, parsley and onions and lemon zest.

Cook on low heat for about 3-4 hours (or until done).

Have A Terrific Patriot's Day Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/12/2010 1:29:25 AM

Hello Everyone,

Welcome home your Family from work or school this next week, with a warm and satisfying dinner. A rich, hearty sauce is the secret to these slow-cooked meals. Just put this in a slow cooker in the morning, and dinner is easy and delicious. Serve over rice or noodles, with a mixed Greens Salad for a complete meal.

Easy Cheesy Chicken

Ingredients

• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can low-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (11 ounce) can low-sodium condensed cream of Cheddar cheese soup
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

Directions

1. Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in slow cooker.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup and cream of Cheddar cheese soup.
  3. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in sour cream just before serving.

Have A Wonderful Week Ahead,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/15/2010 7:04:01 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's another Slowcooker companion Recipe to the one over at Papa's Kitchen. This is really good to make on those Fall evenings when it is cool outside, and you're in the mood for something hot and yummy when you get home from work. This is a chowder recipe that I always use. It is no longer the original recipe, but it's delicious and gets rave reviews!

Slow Cooker Clam Chowder

Ingredients

• 1 (6 ounce) can minced clams
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk

Directions

1. In a small bowl, drain the clams and reserve the juice. Add water to the juice as needed to total 1 3/4 cups liquid. Cover the clams and put in refrigerator for later.
  2. In a slow cooker combine the bacon, potatoes, onion, carrot, soup, ground black pepper, evaporated milk and reserved clam juice with water. Cover and cook on low setting for 9 to 11 hours OR on high setting for 4 to 5 hours. Add the clams and cook on high setting for another hour.

Wishing You Happy Fall Evenings That Are Chrispy & Clear,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2010 2:46:07 AM

Hello My Friends,

Every so often I love the sweet stuff. Here's a Slow Cooker version of an old favorite, that's also shared over at Papa's Kitchen. This is an easier way to make a wonderful comfort food using those abundant fall apples! Delicious when served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. No-Sugar Added Ice Cream of course.

Slow Cooker Apple Crisp

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar or Splenda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 cup white sugar, or Splenda
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions

1. Mix flour, brown sugar, 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl. Combine butter with the flour mixture using fingers or a fork until coarse crumbs form. Stir in walnuts and set aside.
  2. Whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Place the apples in a slow cooker, stir in the cornstarch mixture; toss with lemon juice. Sprinkle the walnut crumb topping on top. Cover and cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 4 hours, until apples are tender. Partially uncover the slow cooker to allow the topping to harden, about 1 hour

Have A Wonderful Fall,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!