Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/17/2010 12:43:19 AM

Hi Roger,

Glad you stopped by and thanks for the Comments. Is this the Bread that you've been smelling? Here's a crusty, chewy bread, ribboned with a savory filling from an authentic French recipe. Hope you all like it...

French Herb Bread

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon minced parsley
  • 2 tablespoons margarine

Directions

1. In a large bowl combine the yeast, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 1/2 cups of the flour.
  2. In a sauce pan combine the milk, water and 1/4 cup of the butter or margarine until 110 degrees F (38 degrees C). Add milk mixture and vinegar to the flour mixture and blend at low speed of the mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
  3. Stir in 1 1/2 cups additional flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead adding 1/2 to 1 cup more of flour until dough is smooth and pliable. Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
  4. Punch down dough and roll into a rectangle shape about 16x8 inches.
  5. In a saucepan heat the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, parsley and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until butter or margarine is melted. Spread over the dough rectangle and starting from the 16 inch side roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll.
  6. Place the bread seam side down onto a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in sized.
  7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  8. Bake bread until golden brown about 20 to 30 minutes. Brush hot bread with melted butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Have A Delightful Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2010 8:04:46 PM

Hello My Friends,

This is being sent out for my Good Friend Peter, and for all of our Jewish friends here at Adland.

Yom Kippur, 2010, starts at sundown this evening, Friday the 17th of September, and lasts all day Saturday the 18th of September until sundown. Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) is one of two Jewish High Holy Days. The first High Holy Day is Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year). Yom Kippur falls ten days after Rosh Hashanah on the 10th of Tishrei, which is a Hebrew month that correlates with September-October on the secular calendar. The purpose of Yom Kippur is to bring about reconciliation between people and between individuals and God. According to Jewish tradition, it is also the day when God decides the fate of each human being.

Although Yom Kippur is an intense holiday, marked by 25 hours of fasting, described in Leviticus 23:27 as "afflicting your souls" and during which time no food or liquid may be consumed, it is nevertheless viewed as a happy day. Why? Because if one has observed the holiday properly, by the end of Yom Kippur they will have made peace with others and with God.

After they have spent Yom Kippur repenting, praying and fasting, many tend to feel a great sense of rejuvenation. At the end of Yom Kippur, one traditionally shares a joyful Break Fast meal with family and friends. The Yom Kippur Break Fast is generally a festive breakfast menu consisting of foods such as eggs, cheese, various breads and fruits. This light and cheesy kosher Egg Souffle, is perfect for just such a Break Fast meal. Serve along with fresh bagels and fruit salad

Egg Souffle

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pepper
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 2 cups (8 ounces or 250 grams) grated cheese
  • 1/2 stick (2 ounces or 60 grams) butter, melted
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 ounces (115 grams) sliced mushrooms
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • fresh parsley

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease a 9x9 inch casserole dish.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Beat eggs. Add all cheeses, butter, onion and mushrooms. Mix well.
4. Add flour mixture.
4. Pour into casserole dish.
5. Place slices of tomato on top and push in slightly. Sprinkle with parsley.
6. Bake at 350° F (180° C) for 40 minutes.

May His Peace Be With You,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/18/2010 9:00:01 PM
Hi Phil,
Thanks for this delightful post. The souffle would have been a delight but we made do with what was in the house and were quite satisfied with the result.
We finished the fast around 4 hours ago and are happy to be back to normality.
Next Wednesday we start Succoth and as I said in a previous post this is a happy and colorful holiday.
Shalom,
Peter

Quote:

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/18/2010 10:52:04 PM

Hello Peter,

I do apologize for not getting the recipe to you sooner, however, I am glad that you liked the Souffle Recipe. Perhaps you can use it at a later time.

As I have said, this particular period in your Calendar year has always fascinated me, partly because it such a period of transition, from two of the most solemn holidays in the year, Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, to one of the most joyous, The Festival of Succoth, also sometimes referred to as Zeman Simkhateinu, or the Season of our Rejoicing. As I understand the Custom, it is common for families to eat, sleep and otherwise spend time in the Sukkah, a symbolic wilderness shelter, in order to commemorate the time during which God provided for the Israelites in the wilderness they inhabited, after they were freed from slavery in Egypt. I'm not really sure what the weather is like in Israel this time of year, so I wonder if you actually are able to sleep in the Sukkah, or if you only take your meals there. Whichever the case, here's a little something which I would hope you might be able to enjoy.

The vanilla sugar and orange juice, give this Apple Crumble an extra special taste. This is one of my all time favorite recipes, and I have been led to believe by my Jewish friends here in High Point, this dessert is especially delicious when served in the Sukkah during the holiday of Succoth.

Apple Crumble

Ingredients:

• 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 slices
  • 1/4 cup of orange juice
  • 1 small packet of vanilla sugar
  • 1–2 tablespoons of cinnamon (depending on how much you like cinnamon!)
  • 1 cup (9 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup (8 oz) butter or parve margarine, melted

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
3. Place the apples in one layer at the bottom of the baking pan, making sure to cover the whole pan.
4. Sprinkle the vanilla sugar, orange juice and cinnamon over the apples in that order.
5. Mix together all the crumble ingredients with a wooden spoon. A bit more flour and oats can be added if you prefer a more crumbly topping.
6. Cover the apples with the crumble and press down lightly with your hand.
7. Cook the crumble in the oven for about 45 minutes. Check that the dish is ready by inserting a tooth pick in the middle. If the apples are still hard then continue cooking 5 minutes at a time until the apples are soft.

SERVING SUGGESTION: This Apple Crumble is great by itself, but I like to garnish it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for an extra special touch. Just remember that the dessert will be dairy, rather than parve, if it is made with butter and/or served with dairy ice cream or whipped cream.

Shalom!
Wishing you a joyous Succoth,
Phil
+0
9/20/2010 7:53:43 PM

Phil, sorry to be late getting the bread here. Your bread sounds delicious but I have never been able to make bread turn out good when I do the kneading. Now with this wonderful bread machine, I don't have to!! Here was one I made the other evening and I used the Egg recipe adding dill seed and Italian herbs.

Egg Bread

Straight from the maker.

Your Slice

Cut a slice for you also.

Okay, Roger & Myrna, your bread is ready!!

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!