Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
8/28/2010 3:03:58 PM
Quote:

Phil,

The biggest problem with Shepherds pie is getting fresh Shepherds out of season.

Roger

Good one Roger, nice chuckle, in fact I am laughing out loud............
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/28/2010 11:53:18 PM

Hi Myrna & Roger,

As I mentioned over at Papa's Kitchen, I'm trying to share both Breakfast & Dinner/Supper with you today. Reason that I hyphenated here, is really quite simple, 'cause what you folks in the Nawth call Dinner, we'un's down here in the South call Supper. Either way, I do like good food, and this is some of the best I've tasted lately.

This is a simple and easy slow cooker recipe that cooks while you are at work or at Church! It is wonderful on a Sunday afternoon, or even better on one of those evenings when you'll be so happy you don't have to cook. There's several members of my family who can sometimes be picky eaters, however, they all LOVE this! Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Directions

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
  2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/29/2010 12:59:49 AM
Hi Phil,

How many do you cook for? Do you ever get tried of cooking, or would you rather do it yourself?

Is that how you spell nawth? l;ol I spell north. lol Here in southern pa us ole farmers called it supper too.

I have deceived to go more toward vegan diet, I am now working my way toward it, as the meat is gone, I am going vegan.

I have wondered all over the place on this remark.

Blessings,
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2010 1:22:58 AM

Hi Myrna,

That's exactly the way my Grandpa pronounced it when he talked about the Battle between "the Nawth & the South", of course, he also referred to it as the "War of Nawthern Aggression", but that was a long time ago.

Here's a little something else that you all might like to fix for "Supper" then.

Asian Beef with Mandarin Oranges

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1⁄2-inch strips
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1⁄3 cup soy sauce
    1⁄4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    1 small green bell pepper, sliced
    1 package (about 3 ounces) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
    1 head bok choy, cleaned and chopped
    1 can (5 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
    2 tablespoons corn starch
    1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained and syrup reserved
    2 cups beef broth
    6 cups steamed rice

Directions

1. Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, in batches if necessary, and cook, turning to brown all sides. Transfer beef to 4 1⁄2-quart CROCK-POT® slow cooker as it is browned.
  2. Add onion to same skillet. Stir over medium heat until softened. Add next soy sauce, salt, ginger, green pepper, mushrooms, bok choy and water chestnuts and cook until bok choy is wilted, about 5 minutes. Spoon mixture over beef.
  3. Whisk together corn starch and reserved mandarin orange syrup in medium bowl. Stir in beef broth and pour over ingredients in CROCK-POT® slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours or until beef is tender.
  4. Stir in mandarin oranges. Spoon steamed rice into shallow serving bowl and spoon beef over rice.

Wishing You A Week That's Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/30/2010 4:42:51 PM

Myrna & Roger, you two can make anyone laugh, don't you think Phil?

Sheperds indeed, Roger!! Might be better than lamb, because that is one meat I do not eat.

Myrna, I think if I lived alone I could be a vegan. I love veggies of all kinds. I have always called it Supper (night meal), lunch/dinner is middle of the day. With my mixed Kansas/Alabama speech it is hard to tell how anything is going to sound!! :-)

Love the new dishes Phil but I am not a crockpot person. I have used them in the past but not now. I am sure your recipes can be used as top of stove meals also. My folks love chicken & dumplings.

Have a great day friends,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!