Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
3/12/2012 11:51:12 PM

Hi Pat,

I'll try to stop by as often as I can over at your Cat Forums, but it's been rough healthwise for awhile recently. Hope that things will look up soon.

This is a wonderfully easy soup to cook while at work or on a busy day! This can be 'soupy' with more broth; or sometimes I like to thicken the juice with a little water and cornstarch mixture and let cook till thick. Then it is good served over mashed potatoes.

Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodles

Ingredients

• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (12 ounce) package frozen egg noodles

Directions

1. Place chicken, water, onion and salt and pepper to taste into a slow cooker. Add celery if desired. Set temperature to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
  2. When chicken is tender, remove from the slow cooker and tear or chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside in a small casserole dish to keep warm. Turn the slow cooker up to high heat and stir in the frozen egg noodles. Cook until noodles are tender then return the chicken pieces to the broth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/15/2012 9:55:21 PM
Hello My Friends,

This simple version of the classic Irish dish has the distinctive bitter flavor of Guinness stout. Although it’s slow-cooked, the hearty beef stew requires minimal prep time. When it’s ready, the puff pastry “tops” are baked separately and served alongside. For that special touch, start your meal off with a fresh Forty Shades of Green Salad (below).

Slow-Cooker Steak and Guinness Pie

1-1/8 oz. (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour; more for rolling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lb. boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 (12-oz.) bottle Guinness (or other stout)
1 cup lower-salt beef broth
2 large russet potatoes (about 1-1/2 lb.), washed and cut into 1-inch cubes
Nonstick cooking spray
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (about 9 oz.), thawed overnight in the refrigerator

In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Toss the beef in the flour mixture to coat. Transfer the mixture (including excess flour) to a 6-quart slow cooker and then add the carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme. Slowly pour in the Guinness and then stir in the beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Add the potatoes and continue cooking until the meat and the potatoes are fork-tender, about 1 hour more.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with the cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry sheet into a 10x14-inch rectangle. Put it on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden-brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly on a rack, and cut into quarters.

To serve, lay the puff pastry quarters in 4 wide, shallow bowls and spoon the stew over the pastry. Serves 4.

This light, refreshing salad is named after a famous song by Johnny Cash about Ireland. It’s a nice starter or side for any of your Spring menus.

Forty Shades of Green Salad

For the vinaigrette:
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. honey
Big pinch of kosher salt
1 coarse grind of fresh pepper
For the salad:
1 large head Boston lettuce, largest outer leaves and damaged leaves removed, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves (I like a mix of flat and curly)
1 large (or 1-1/2 small) Belgian endive, damaged leaves removed, halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced crosswise (1/4 inch)
2 to 3 scallions (white and light green part only), very thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 small ripe but firm avocado

Make the vinaigrette:

In a small bowl, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until thoroughly emulsified (it will look creamy).
Make the salad:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, parsley, endive, and scallions. Gently toss the greens thoroughly with about 2 Tbs. of the vinaigrette. Mound the greens onto four salad plates (white looks nice), arranging any endive and parsley pieces that have fallen to the bottom of the bowl on top.

Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Slide a large spoon between the skin and flesh to peel each half. Slice the avocado halves crosswise in very thin half-moons (1/8 inch thick).

With the flat side of a chef’s knife, transfer the avocado halves to the mixing bowl, fan them out slightly, drizzle over another 1 Tbs. of the vinaigrette, and gently toss just to coat the avocado, keeping the slices somewhat together. Arrange a little pile of avocado slices on one quarter of the salad, propped up against the mound of leaves. Drizzle the whole salad with a tiny bit more vinaigrette and serve right away. Serves 4.

Have A Happy St. Patrick's Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/15/2012 10:13:24 PM
HI Phil,

Just dropping in to say that green salad looks good. Bringing you a cup of cheer.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/17/2012 2:06:53 AM

Hello Myrna,

Thanks so much for stopping by with a Cup of Cheer and an Adorable Kitty! Happy St Pats my Friend.

A slow cooker recipe for some traditional-style Irish corned beef and cabbage that smells as good as it tastes. Sweet potatoes are added for those whose diet prefers them.

Stout Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Veggies

Ingredients

• 1 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles Irish stout beer (such as Guinness®), divided
  • 3/4 (4 pound) corned beef brisket
  • 1 cup and 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2-1/4 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 3/4 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
  • 1-1/2 large sweet onions, chopped
  • 4-1/2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2-1/4 red potatoes, cut into chunks

Directions

1. Pour 1 bottle Irish stout beer into a slow cooker.
  2. Rinse corned beef brisket and pat dry. Rub with brown sugar, including the bottom, and gently place brisket into the slow cooker with the stout beer.
  3. Arrange sweet potatoes, cabbage, onion, carrots, and red potatoes on and around the brisket in the slow cooker.
  4. Pour remaining 1/2 bottle Irish stout beer on and around brisket and vegetables to moisten the brown sugar. Cover the cooker and cook on Low until corned beef is tender, 6 to 8 hours. Allow brisket to stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serves 10-12.

Have A Happy St Patrick's Day,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/19/2012 11:15:36 PM

Hello Friends,

Tonight we've got something a "little" different. Carnitas means 'little meats' and is traditionally fried then braised. This recipe is made much easier using the slow cooker but the results are just as tasty. This makes a great filling for tamales, enchiladas, tacos and burritos. This filling is also great combined with your favorite barbecue sauce and served on buns.

Slow Cooker Carnitas

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups chicken broth

Directions

1. Mix together salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon in a bowl. Coat pork with the spice mixture. Place the bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top. Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
  2. Cover and cook on Low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours. Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours. When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with two forks. Use cooking liquid as needed to moisten the meat. Serves 8-10.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!