Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jayson VanBeekom

796 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Morality
11/12/2009 4:03:14 PM
A few days ago a controversial video game hit store shelves here in the States. This game's biggest controversy stems from the opening mission (a mission that people can choose not to play) in which your character is undercover as a terrorist. You are then given the choice to blow your cover and eliminate your terrorist entourage or, and this is where the controversy comes in, shoot innocent civilians in an airport.

Now of course right-minded people would never do this in real life, but given the chance in a video game, most would do it without a second thought. But where is the line drawn? Does morality exist within the virtual realm as well as our own? Are we no different than real terrorists if we go on a bloody rampage in a mere game? I know where I stand, but it's the opinions of others that has me interested.

+1
RE: Morality
11/12/2009 5:13:29 PM

Good topic Jayson;

I suppose there is diminished harm in playing this type of game; if the individual; who normally acts out "violent and agressive behavior" towards others, use this game as an alternaive.

Ladies may not agree; however, guys need occassional "rough type" entertainment to calm their natural instinct to "hunt".

Some individuals have great morals; however, what some choose for entertainment can either enhance or confuse the core of their morals.

Example, an excellent high school student goes to college and stays excellent until they discover online gambling; becomes obsessed and look for odd means to fund new entertainment.

gambling

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/12/2009 8:06:23 PM

Jayson,

Interesting topic.

As a hypnotherapist I deal with folk with all types of challenging behaviour/obsessions etc.

I HAVE NO DOUBT that these games, and similar violence glorifying media had a profoundly negative affect on about half of those who indulge.

I try not to sound like an Old Timer by being anti violence in media, but, I shall probably get labelled anyway so what the heck.

i know that we can't spend all of our time promoting loving family entertainment however, what possible reason can there be for the promotion of this rubbish other than PROFIT.

Some folk have no regrets about promoting this stuff, well, all I can say is, they have to accept the consequences as much as us. I hope they are proud of their eventual legacy.

Roger

+1
Jayson VanBeekom

796 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/13/2009 3:54:20 PM

A great example, Jan. I also agree about your point with men needing a bit of violence to satisfy their fun thrist. And what better way to do that than with a game that can cause no real-world consequence, unless one decides to act on those events, in which case it probably wans't a good idea for these types of people to play games in the first place.

+1
Jayson VanBeekom

796 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/13/2009 4:00:08 PM
You're right, Roger. Money is a big part of why people create these types of entertainment, but it is also because they know what people want to buy, and in turn they want their creations to be popular. Like you said, it's to cement a legacy, to be remembered for the shock and awe that is their work. Because lets face it, no one wants to watch a movie of a guy mowing his lawn or play a game about working at a car wash.
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!