Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: CLAUDE DEBUSSY
11/6/2009 3:32:48 PM

Dear Branka,

As I told you elsewhere, Debussy was a familiar name at my home since very early in my life, maybe since I was just five or six years old. However, the only piece of music by him that we listened to in my house was his "Claire the Lune", which I suppose was then in all vogue and was, in addition, played by my mother at the piano. Also, it was the original piano version only which we used to listen to in a small pickup music player, and maybe by Alexander Brailovski, who was my mother's favorite interpreter over Sir Arthur Rubinstein - though I must say that this David Oistrak's violin -and piano rendering that you have presented here in a video is, of course, also wonderful.

On the other hand, at that time you could only get the old 78 rpm vinyl disks and our collection was unfortunately not very big. Even so, it contained the best classic music in the world. True, there might be great names absent in it like for example Bach and Mozart, which I guess my mother did not care much about at that stage of her life. But anyway, Claude Debussy's "Claire de Lune" was the most modern musical composition in our collection.

So it was only after many more years had elapsed that I became familiar with "La Mer" and the "Prelude to Afternoon of a Fawn". And only now, thanks to you, have I come to hear about and to listen to all these other beautiful Debussy's compositions. They all, plus the one that Roger McDivitt posted at my art forum a couple of days ago and which I am including below, definitely corroborate something that I only difussely perceived as a child while listening to the crystalline, liquid notes of Debussy's "Claire de Lune", something about which only now have I read, for the first time ever, in Baudelaire's precious poem "Harmony of Evening", and in the words of the composer himself:

"Do you find it difficult to conceive that one who sees mystery in everything — in the song of the sea, in the curve of the horizon, in the wind and in the call of the birds — should have been attracted to a religious subject...?"

Yes, his music was Poetry Itself to my ears. It made me feel in paradise. The Garden of Eden was magically brought to me in its notes. I had no great experience of the country, but Debussy's "Claire de Lune" made me dream of ever green fields plentiful with birds singing, grass and flowers and crystal-like rivulets running everywhere in the Sun, where we all, my family and I, could play and run and find solace for hours on end.

Thank you Branka for bringing back to my mind and soul such wonderful, privileged moments of my childhood. Yes, you have reawakened all that in me for the last couple of hours, and the experience has been magical, beautiful, unforgettable.

Bless you,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2009 4:15:04 PM
Miguel,
I am not sure if I ever told you how always, when think of you, I have Debussy somewhere in & around :) . I think we didn`t speak about him until today.
I have no words to tell what (and how much) he means to me. Thanks to him, I am familiar with winds. And with silence. It was not meditation where I met the silence first time. It was music. Claude . He gave me a many keys, so important for any of the worlds I live in.
But I am too selfish to share him with anyone. What`s happened here to "push" me to do this, maybe I know - but still am the coward even to think about.
His music and spirit have bridged a schism between male and female worlds. He didn`t speak about that too much, but that`s what I have learned studying his musics and following his guidance.
I am glad you are a happy boy Goitizolo again.
I am also (hugged with him) happy silky lady and the queen who has enough patience to listen to a plain daily woman (in-out-wards), a bit lost in the woods.
Thanks Luis & Miguel :) . (I think my dear Roger caught up the Debussy virus here :) ).
HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BOTH OF YOU! You mean almost a world to me :).
Branka

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2009 7:30:15 PM

Verlaine

Why do you dig like long-clawed scavengers
To touch the covered corpse of him that fled
The uplands for the fens, and rioted
Like a sick satyr with doom’s worshippers?
Come! let the grass grow there; and leave his verse
To tell the story of the life he led.
Let the man go: let the dead flesh be dead,
And let the worms be its biographers.

Song sloughs away the sin to find redress
In art’s complete remembrance: nothing clings
For long but laurel to the stricken brow
That felt the Muse’s finger; nothing less
Than hell’s fulfilment of the end of things
Can blot the star that shines on Paris now.

Edwin Arlington Robinson

(Debussy was very inspired by Symbolist poetry (Verlaine) . He begun to experiment with piano sonorities, utilizing a scale based on a whole tones, but without a firm key center. This cantana La Damoiselle Elue (1888), is inspired with one poem (forgot with which one) is a part of this "new fashion")

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!