Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: CLAUDE DEBUSSY
11/4/2009 10:16:01 PM
Sava,

It is interesting how French impressionists were inspired by Russian writers and musicians. Debussy was influenced by Borodin and Mussorgsky, and also by Lermontov . Van Gogh was amazed by Tolstoy (and I am also :) ) .

I like what Jean Cocteau said about Debussy :

"Debussy existed before Debussy. It is an architecture which moves upside down in water, clouds which form and disperse, branches which slumber, rain on the leaves, plums which in falling kill themselves and bleed gold--everything that only murmured or stammered before a human voice came to give it expression. A thousand vague marvels in nature have at last found their interpreter."

Here is one of his great piano compositions :

W.Nänni piano

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2009 10:24:18 PM

Collect impressions. Don’t be in a hurry to write them down. Because that’s something music can do better than painting: it can centralise variations of colour and light within a single picture — a truth generally ignored, obvious as it is.
(Debussy in a letter to his pupil Raoul Bardac (1906) )

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2009 10:33:04 PM
Do you really think that my music is devoid of religious antecedents? Do you wish to put an artist's soul under restraint? Do you find it difficult to conceive that one who sees mystery in everything — in the song of the sea, in the curve of the horizon, in the wind and in the call of the birds — should have been attracted to a religious subject? I have no profession of faith to utter to you: but, whichever my creed may be, no great effort on my part was needed to raise me to the height of d'Annunzio's mysticism. I can assure you that my music was written in exactly the spirit as if it had been commissioned for performance in church.
Have I succeeded in expressing all that I felt? It is for others to decide. Is the faith which my music expresses orthodox? I do not know; but I can say that it is my own, expressed in all sincerity. (DEBUSSY)

(one of my favorite)

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/5/2009 6:37:12 AM
Before the passing sky, in long hours of contemplation of its magnificent and ever-changing beauty, I am seized by an incomparable emotion. The whole expanse of nature is reflected in my own sincere and feeble soul. Around me the branches of trees reach out toward the firmament, here are sweet-scented flowers smiling in the meadow, here the soft earth is carpeted with sweet herbs. ... Nature invites its ephemeral and trembling travelers to experience these wonderful and disturbing spectacles — that is what I call prayer. (Debussy)

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2009 9:48:47 AM
Claude Debussy, St. John Climacus, Søren Kierkegaard.....

What associates CLAUDE DEBUSSY, St, John Climacus (also known as John of the Ladder) and Søren Kierkegaard?

Thirteenth century, icon of St. John Claimacus, to either side are St>Georg and St.Blaise

I don`t know how many of you are familiar with St. John The Ladder (St. John Climacus, lived from 579 - March 30, 649) ... but in my opinion, no one of the Christian theologists ever, has paid that much passion and attention on the speech with his human nature.

The Ladder of Divine Ascent, 12th century icon(St.Catherine`s Monastery, Mount Sinai)

"What is the mystery in me? What is the meaning of this blending of body and soul? How am I constituted a friend and foe to myself? Tell me, tell me, my yoke-fellow, my nature, for I shall not ask anyone else in order to learn about you. How am I to remain unwounded by you? How can I avoid the danger of my nature? For I have already made a vow to Christ to wage war against you. How am I to overcome your tyranny? For I am resolved to be your master." (Ladder of Divine Ascent)

Søren Aabye Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher and theologian (1813-1885) . He strongly criticized both : Hegelianism of his time, and institution of Denmark Church. He used to write under pseudonym JOHANNES CLIMACUS - writing as a THIRD PERSON , offering something better known as THEORY OF INDIRECT COMMUNICATION (what we today consider channeling) . He tried to provoke / or to motivate his readers TO GET THEIR OWN OPINION and conclusion ... DEALING WITH HUMAN EMOTIONS AND ANOTHER TASKS OF HUMAN NATURE, when are faced with challenges, temptations and simply, when are asked to make the choice.

And finally, OUR CLAUDE DEBUSSY - who INSISTED ON attuning to nature , bringing to musics a total new language.

My question is :
DOES ANYONE HERE SPEAKS WITH HIS HUMAN NATURE AND HOW IT LOOKS LIKE ?

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!