Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: Wirklich, er war unentbehrlich.
10/6/2009 8:14:04 PM

Hello Branka,

My Deutsch is very "rostig" (rusty, I think). I was sent to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California to study German for six months in 1966. I then spent three years in Germany. Got out of the army, went back in a few years later, and went to Germany for three more years. I have not been back since 1983, but would love to go back. It is a beautiful country, and the people are great. Many GI's will tell you different, but for me and my family, the secret was to treat them and their country with respect and at least try to speak the language.

Some people will use the term "Ugly American", and I have seen a few of these. I remember getting on a train in Munich and sitting across from a couple of American tourists who were complaining about the country and the fact that nobody spoke English.

Wherever you go, respect the people and their customs, and learn a bit of the language. You tend to get back what you give.

Have a great day.

Don

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Wirklich, er war unentbehrlich.
10/6/2009 8:20:37 PM
You are right Don.

Really, in 80`s almost nobody didn`t speak any language than German, but it`s much different today. Germans are very kind and great people. I simply admire them, and have a many true friends there (Germans) .

+0
Flash Smith

1053 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Thanks To Everyone that Posted !
10/7/2009 2:34:33 AM
I just wanted to Thank Everyone that has posted in this forum. I love Each and every one of the poems here. I hope everyone is enjoying these poems as much as I am.

Have a Great Day

Flash
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!