Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Pong - What would you do if you were this manager?
12/5/2005 8:48:05 PM
Hi: I love "ponging" - lol. Keep the answers coming.... I'm already seeing an interesting thing. I'll show you what I'm seeing after a few more posts - if what I'm seeing stays consistent, of course. ; ) Linda
+0
12/5/2005 8:52:29 PM
Linda, The main problem here is that he is stealing business from his employer, and also stealing company time if he was going to the restaurant and picking up the orders. Either way, once he sold more than $600 of business to his cousin, it becomes a felony. So the manager has a choice here. He can work out a deal with the employee, which in this case I would think would be best, because the customers are already talking about how great the service is. Firing the employee at this point is going to cost him more than if he works out a deal with him. I would have the employee, the restaurant owner, and the hotel sign a contract for a percentage of the profits to go to the hotel. Probably about 40/40/20, or something like that. Bear in mind, that the hotel is still going to be liable for any health violations that may come up, etc... So the restaurant 40%, the hotel 40%, and the employee 20%. Or something similar. Or you could say that the employee is working as an independant contractor for the restaurant, and have him work on a commission basis. There are numerous ways to handle this. It would all depend on the employee's, and the restaurant owners attitudes, when approached that would determine how I would handle it. But, no matter what, something would have to be done. Sincerely, David Rowland
+0
Janise Collins

369 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/5/2005 8:55:03 PM
Linda, I would drop in on the nearby cafe and check out the menu and the food. Then I would speak with our hotel chef's and have them make some of those items and add them to our hotel menu. I'd also speak to the employee and warm him this must stop and then speak to the cafe owner about accepting our discount coupons. Most hotel's I've stayed at have discount coupons you can use at nearby restaurants. A friend is always much better than an enemy in business - referrals comprise the business world. Just food for thought! Have a blessed and successful day Happy Holidays! Your friend, Classic Corners http://www.classicwebstore.com
Hope to meet you soon! Regards, Classic Corners http://www.classicwebstore.com
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/5/2005 9:51:00 PM
Hi Linda, I would not fire the employee. I think I would see an opportunity here to improve my room service. I would talk to the employee and let him know that this had to stop, but I would either hire his cousin to become a private room service caterer run through the hotel, or have the employee and the cousin work out some agreement where the employee could run the inhouse part of the business and the cousin could provide the meals and menu. If the hotel already had a kitchen, I don't think that would hurt it because people who go into a dining room for dinner are a whole different demographic, than those that order room service. The hotel manager could start a gourmet room service menu, and that way the young entrepeneur could keep his job, the cousin could get more business and the hotel manager looks good to his higher ups and the customers are happy. Nobody really got hurt by this little side business and as long as customers like it, why not everyone benefit from it. Your Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
12/5/2005 11:12:37 PM
Hi Linda, I would listen to what he had to say, then most very likely FIRE HIM ON THE WEENIE. Carolyn
Carolyn Mary Sproul
+0