Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Pong - What would you do if you were this manager?
12/5/2005 6:01:01 PM
Hi: Another pong thread. The manager of a large hotel had an unusual situation. Guests of the hotel were leaving compliments about how great the room service was. Of course, he was pleased. But then, a few people specified the items they were raving about - and those items were not on the hotel's room service menu. He was puzzled. So he opened his eyes and ears and just watched. Turns out one of his employees was running a little room service business of his own - right inside the hotel. The employee's cousin owned a cafe nearby, and the employee was "diverting" orders to his cousin's cafe. What would you do if you were the hotel manager? : ) Linda P.S. I have no idea how billing for the food was taken care of. I don't know if the hotel guests paid cash, or how it was worked out. Just thought I'd add that in case you wondered. Either way, the 'way' the food was paid for isn't the point... the fact that an employee was running his own business within the company he worked for is the real point...
+0
Jim
Jim White

68 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Pong - What would you do if you were this manager?
12/5/2005 6:22:44 PM
I would fire the employee and approach the owner of the cafe for a joint room service deal. Jim
+0
Kim
Kim Nelson

12 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/5/2005 7:06:46 PM
Hi Linda Well i would fire him for sure.as far as the cafe owner well i would have something done about that but not sure what. Thanks Your Friend Kim http://www.freewebs.com/clasylady/ PS.If anyone is interested in helping kids for Christmas please go to my site.
Have A Fantastic Day!!
+0
Vi
Vi Shahan

201 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/5/2005 7:54:23 PM
I would approach the employee and talk to him to see why he was doing this and if the reason was poor service and quality of our own foor facility, I would talk to our own chefs to see if we could change our menu to meet and compete with the cafe down the street. If our own facility could not make the or by pass the cafe's menu then I would approach the cafe owner and see if we could work together to make my customers happy. I would then tell the employee what we were doing and reprimend him, with a warning for not being truthful about what he was doing. This is still America and a person should not be punished because they are trying to make people happy even if it is thinking out side the box.
"Change Your Mind." "Change Your Life." Vi Shahan Website: http://www.preventionsecrets.com http://www.vi.scent-team.com
+0
12/5/2005 8:43:13 PM
Hi Linda, I don't think I would fire the employee just for finding a way to keep the guests happy but I wouldn't let the side business keep going the way it was. Better to work out something with the cousin who owned the cafe. Maybe the employee went about things the wrong way but he sure showed a lot of initiative and I think he could be a real asset to the hotel. Martha
+0