Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: The ONE word that will make or break a business...
12/5/2005 11:58:09 PM
Hi: So far, these are the guesses to my riddle. Passion, Goal Focus, Perseverance Committment, Fortitude, Referrals Gratitude, Customer Service, determination Motivated, Motivation, Belief VISION, Focus, Communication Belief, Charisma, Trust Persistance, Communication, CREDIBILITY Desire, PERSISTENCE, Emotions, and Dreams They are all great words, and important concepts... You know those moments when you sigh and say "aw geeze, I knew that... why didn't I say it?" Here's that moment. The riddle: One word With it, your business will fly Without it, your business will die. The answer: CUSTOMERS Is that stating the obvious, or what? Here's an interesting perspective. Business owners often get so wrapped up in running a business that they focus on the procedures, not the people that will make or break them. If I took my entire client list, and divided it into two columns - the ones doing well, and the ones not doing well, I see differences in how they talk. The successful client says "How can I find more customers?" -- while the other group says "how can I promote my website?" The successful client says "what can I do for my customers to show my appreciation for them?" -- the other column says "I gotta throw in some freebies and bonuses to beef up the value of this package. Bonuses work, ya' know. Or maybe I should have a sale... discounts pump sales..." Most website owners write their materials as though they're talking to a crowd. They market their businesses as though they are marketing to "the masses." But the fact is, we read websites one person at a time. We buy things one person at a time. And businesses grow - or die - one customer at a time. It's a fine hairline difference. So fine that some people will never see the difference. They won't *get* what I'm saying. Others will agree, but it's just lip service because they don't know how to implement it. The ones that truly grasp that their business exists only for customers and because of customers - they will end up on the success list. It may take time as they learn how to run a business and how to reach more customers - but it's a case of "when" not "if." Customers. With them, your business will fly. Without them, your business will die. Thoughts? Questions? : ) Linda
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/6/2005 12:10:48 AM
Hi Linda, Wow, it was so obvious, but nobody thought of it. That doesn't say much for any of us. I agree with what you said about getting so wrapped up in how to promote a site, you do forget about the most important thing, the customer. This has really made me start thinking. Your Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
12/6/2005 12:38:34 AM
Hi Deb; ======================================== Wow, it was so obvious, but nobody thought of it. That doesn't say much for any of us. I agree with what you said about getting so wrapped up in how to promote a site, you do forget about the most important thing, the customer. This has really made me start thinking. ======================================== Well, I wouldn't be so hard on anyone to say it "doesn't say much for any of us..." lol I'd say it just shows that we're all human. We've all heard the joke that if a woman robs a bank wearing no shirt, most people would not be able to describe her from the neck up. lol. We do that mentally, too. Stare at one thing until others fade away. So, when we're learning to run a business, we focus on the skills we need to develop - and often forget about the people - one by one - that will make or break us. Procedures become our focus, and the people kind of fade. : ) Linda
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
12/6/2005 12:54:07 AM
Auuuggghhh, ya got me! I fear I am a slow student... glad I've got you to make me think. Cheri
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
12/6/2005 12:58:37 AM
DUH!!!!
+0